Ofa Fotu's Reviews > Ragged Dick and Struggling Upward

Ragged Dick and Struggling Upward by Horatio Alger Jr.

Nov 24, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: engl-420
Read in November, 2011

This is a Young Adult Literature book from before 1920.

hoi.
That being said, except for the scene at the library when I requested for this book, it was completely uninteresting. It is like playing an Age of Empires video game - it is there and you are strangely facinated by it, but there is no real plotline. Boy starts out poor, by hardwork and a bit of luck, he makes his way up in life. I could cry at how boring and uneventful it is. Maybe I'm just resentful that things are going to easy for him because it doesn't reflect life at all. I will put down this book and continue with my life where there basically is just more struggles. Granted, he starts out homeless and in rags shining shoes - but everything is up from there. And The author just lays it on REALLY thick about how honest, hard working and good this character is - he tries, unsuccesfully to give Dick some vices (smoking, his name...) but they aren't really that offensive (funny, yes, offensive- in a "these are the trials that outset your blessings-sort of way, NO) It is "the teacher's pet" in a Newsies outfit. I just wanted someone to mug him the whole time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragged Dick and Struggling Upward.