Aubrey- CGSR's Reviews > A. C. H. E.

A. C. H. E. by M. Never

liked it
bookshelves: arc, dual-pov, contemporary, menage, romantic-suspense

3 out of 5 'Total let down' Stars

I have read M. Never in the past....like read and re-read a lot of her books. They are sooooo ah-may-zing!! There's a but coming......BUT this book and the last book I read from her (Strip Me Bare) were huge flops for me. I read some reviews after I finished the book, just to see what other people were saying about it, and I was surprised that not many people shared my opinion. Like, did we read the same story?

The book starts out with a teenage Everly trapped in her high profile drug dealer step-dads house. Her mom is a drug addict and could really care less about Everly. In her imprisonment, she finds solace in a young man named Tage who promises to take her away from there and keep her protected. I thought that Tage and Everly were so sweet in the beginning. His love for her was protective and unwavering and her love for him was pure and untainted. But things happened and the book fast forwards eight years.

Now eight years later and Everly is living on her own in New York City and working in a high profile law office as a secretary. And apparently Tage visits Everly every now and again to check up on her. Everly has some interaction with Alec, a high powered attorney, in the law office that she works in. He's a bit of a jerk at first but seriously loses that whole jerk vibe in like a matter of a few days. He's into Everly and vice versa. But it all felt so insta lovey. Like he fell in love with her in a matter of a couple weeks. And I know that there isn't a time frame on how quick you can fall in love with someone but she hated him when she first mentioned him. Then they are in love?!?!? Alright so I went with it. But of course Tage chooses this moment to pop back into Everly's life and "check up" on her. I thought that Tage had a lot of stalkerish tendencies when it came to Everly. Watching her walk to work. Following her on the subway. Waiting outside her apartment until the lights went out. Creepy.

And then there's the entire 'let's have a menage relationship' because we both love Everly too much to let her go and will be in a menage relationship as long as she's happy.....uh, sure. Well, that decision was made between Tage and Alec over like three or four shots of whiskey....which the book said they were slamming down.....I thought that a decision like that was made pretty simply. Both Tage and Alec didn't seem like free spirited sharing men to me; just saying.

And then Everly is overjoyed because she doesn't have to choose either of the men that she loves so much. I thought it was rather convenient? inconvenient? that Tage chose this moment to want to get back with Everly. Like dude, you've been in and out of her life for the last eight years but when a little competition came into the picture you were all over her.

I felt like everything happened so fast. Like I get why Tage and Everly had a connection - bonded over years. But I felt like Alec and Everly's connection was just meh. How Alec was like 'I can't imagine living without her' after a couple weeks, I just didn't feel it. And because I felt like there wasn't a supercharged connection between Everly and Alec, it made me less invested in the menage relationship. Do I love a good menage relationship? Hell yeah. But this menage relationship just didn't do it for me.

Also, the book ended kinda weird. There was some serious unfinished business. It kinda felt like a cliffhanger. Usually I'm all for M. Never, but this time not so much.

Happy Reading!!
*Reviewer for Country Gals Sexy Reads*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A. C. H. E..

May 15, 2018 – Started Reading
May 15, 2018 – Shelved
May 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 15, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
May 15, 2018 – Shelved as: dual-pov
May 15, 2018 –
51.0% "Annnnnnnd now the drama begins. And that’s Drama with a capital D. Tage you underhanded dirty dog, you."
May 15, 2018 –
73.0% "I don’t know what it is. But there’s something I don’t like here. 🤔🤔🤔"
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: menage
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
May 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Liana You've nailed my feelings. It started so well, but then....everything just needed a little room to breathe. Also, I completely reject the ending. Three stars seems about right, but it could have been five and that's disappointing.

Aubrey- CGSR Oh gurl!! I hear you. I was so disappointed with this one. Soooo much more potential to this.