Lucy's Reviews > Rocky Mountain Refuge

Rocky Mountain Refuge by Nicky James

Not everything in life is easy, you know. It’s the people who risk facing the hard stuff and the scary stuff every day who come out stronger in the end.

This book was everything I never even knew I needed in a book. The mental health depiction was so brilliant, the author never skirts around the issue. It really shows what it's like to live with an illness that affects how you view everyone around you, and the effect that can have on the people who love you.

Huxley suffers from Paranoid Personality Disorder, and has been living as a recluse in the wilderness for five years ever since his husband was murdered. He's terrified of anyone who comes near him as he believes his husbands murderers are out to get him and frame him for his death. When Huxley catches Aspen staring at him in a store he's convinced that Aspen is after him.

Aspen is a wildlife biologist working on a research project about grizzly bears that he carries out each year with a new team. Aspen is drawn to the attractive man at the store so when he keeps coming across Huxley within the woods he's determined to get him to trust him.

The relationship between the two was so hard fought and at times I would catch myself thinking how on earth is this ever going to work, but with a lot of perseverance they do get there in the end. Huxley fights Aspen constantly, he finds new threats where they are none. There was a lot more to Huxley than his illness though. He is a sweet and caring guy who was so attentive to Aspen. Aspen was such a fantastic character too. He really tries with Huxley. He tries his hardest to do the right thing even when he has no idea what that is.

The journey these two embark on together is exhausting. There are fights, a whole heap of struggles but through it all there is a sheer determination to get their relationship to work. I just adored them together, I was completely immersed by them throughout this entire book. This was my first read by this author but I definitely think I need to go back and check out some of her other work because i'm just so wowed by this one.

Also, this was surprisingly hot! Huxley loves having control in the bedroom, and it turns out that Aspen enjoys giving his up which leads to some great steamy scenes between the two.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rocky Mountain Refuge.

May 14, 2018 – Started Reading