Sarah Murray's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

Nov 23, 2011

Read in November, 2011

This was the most craziest non fiction novel i've ever read. I usually read fantasy, mystery and funny books but this was cold and serious. It's about a girl named alice who keeps a journal, documenting her experimentation with all sorts of drugs and spiraling out of control with who she used to be. Just through reading her entries, i felt like i was in her shoes, dealing with her issues and being up close and personal with her addictions. The surprising part to me was that this is an actual journal that has been published but with an anonymous author! I couldn't believe that none of the stuff in the story was fake, but then again...it seemed so real it couldn't have been made up.

This is definitely not a school appropriate book for my class. I wouldn't make my kids read this as a class but if i was to teach an older grade, i would let them have the choice to pick it to read from my book shelf. Since it was a journal about drug use, with older grades, i could find educational videos about drug, remind them of the dare program, and even read one of the journal days to them just so they can get a glimpse of what life is really like for addicted drug users. Like i said, this is for older grade levels because they need to be able to have the maturity to handle the information that was being told to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.