Miranda Reads's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, ya-series

The Bachelor + The Princess Diaries
I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.
North America was destroyed (wars, financial crisis, etc). A man of the name Gregory Illéa pulled together what was left to form Illéa.

This new country came with a strict caste system with Ones being the royal family all the way down to Eights - poor, starving untouchables.

America Singer, a Five, is among the artist caste. Hungry but not starving. Poor but not destitute.

She has a secret love, Aspen, a Six (the laborers and cleaners) and she knows nothing could be worse than their discovery. (In her country, only the harshest of punishments are towards the unpure girls).

Life seems rather hopeless...that is, until the chance of a lifetime swings her way.

The Selection.

Prince Maxon is ready to find his bride and the royals crowd-sourced 35 eligible healthy, virgins for the task.

America signs up for the Selection under duress of her family and (surprise, surprise) our heroine is selected.

Every week she remains in the prince's pool of suitable companions, her family gets much needed money. Every week she remains, she's one step closer to becoming a One.

As much as her family is rooting with her, she decides to cut a deal with Maxon. She'll be his friend, his eyes-and-ears in exchange for keeping her in the competition (and her family will keep getting that sweet paycheck).
“I’ve met nearly every woman in this room, and I can’t think of one who would make a better friend. I’d be glad to have you stay."
My relief was inexpressible.
"Do you think," Maxon asked, "That I could still call you ‘my dear’?"
"Not a chance." I whispered.”
Sometimes you need a dishy, cat-fighting, true-love-finding, princess-y sort of book and this one was certainly it.

I enjoyed the rather sweet romance that developed between our mains. (Thank goodness it wasn't an insta-love sort of deal).

Plus, who doesn't love it when there's solid banter between the leads?
“If you don’t want me to be in love with you, you’re going to have to stop looking so lovely. First thing tomorrow I’m having your maids sew some potato sacks together for you.”
The thing that bugged the ever-living daylights out of me was that the author really didn't know much about politics.

It sounds weird, but bear with me.

The country is in a bout of civil unrest, rebels (both factions) are breaking into the castle every other day... and the king decides to host the Bachelor? Really?

It just felt very.... under researched and clumsily done.

The author has the rebels breaking in so frequently that I really wondered if the king left the back door unlocked.

The caste system added drama... but you could tell that it was just there for girls to have excuses to be snobs to each other and for dramatic pining moments (I love him... but we could *never* be together).

All in all, it could've been a great book if it was better fleshed out but it's still an entertaining one. Just don't think too hard.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Amy Rubinate - not bad at all...EXCEPT FOR THE ACCENTS!!! I don't think the folks really planned out this audiobook series at all. Book 1 - Queen Amberly (no accent), her sister (southern twang). Companion Book The Queen - Queen Amberly (heavy, native "Honduraguan" accent). What the what.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

May 14, 2018 – Started Reading
May 14, 2018 – Shelved
May 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

Carrie Nicer review, I actually had it as The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games. LOL

Miranda Reads Carrie wrote: "Nicer review, I actually had it as The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games. LOL"

I was debating that comparison...but ultimately, no catfights ended in death :P

Carrie Miranda wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Nicer review, I actually had it as The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games. LOL"

I was debating that comparison...but ultimately, no catfights ended in death :P"

True but the world was pretty much the same type of separation as the districts with each doing certain jobs and the higher the numbers being the wealthier. Take away the death from that setting and add in the dating of the Bachelor and you have the Selection. :)

✦ Maica ✦ But the real question is, Team Maven or Team Aspen? LOL

message 5: by Aina (new)

Aina Winky Great review, I was debating whether to read or not this book for the longest time. Some of my friends love it and some hate it.

Angela's Booked These books make me so happy. Even though you know what's going to happen in the end, the way the author gets to that point is fun and entertaining. Plus, the banter; you can never go wrong with good banter- it's totes my fave :)

Miranda Reads Carrie wrote: "True but the world was pretty much the same type of separation as the districts with each doing certain jobs and the higher the "

Ahhh... good point. You win :p

Miranda Reads Maica wrote: "But the real question is, Team Maven or Team Aspen? LOL"

As much as i adore apsen.... I've read enough YA love triangles to know how this plays out. It's always gonna be the Prince

Miranda Reads Aina wrote: "Great review, I was debating whether to read or not this book for the longest time. Some of my friends love it and some hate it."

Honestly, it's a fun series but not a life changing one. Good for a rainy day

message 10: by Miranda (last edited May 19, 2018 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Miranda Reads Angela's Booked wrote: "These books make me so happy. Even though you know what's going to happen in the end, the way the author gets to that point is fun and entertaining. Plus, the banter; you can never go wrong with go..."

You and your banter :p I'm still waiting for book 2. How are the novels following the main series?

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Lovely review, Miranda. I was still on the fence about this one but I think I'll give it a go.

message 12: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Miranda!

message 13: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ash Your review has me intrigued! I love when there is banter between the love interests! Great review, Miranda :)

Miranda Reads Jennifer (Jen) wrote: "Lovely review, Miranda. I was still on the fence about this one but I think I'll give it a go."

Woohoo ;)

Miranda Reads Deanna wrote: "Great review, Miranda!"
Thank you!

Miranda Reads Julia wrote: "Your review has me intrigued! I love when there is banter between the love interests! Great review, Miranda :)"

Thanks 😊😊😊

Fuzaila Great review Miranda! These books always work when you need a quick light read. Even though I balled my eyes out in the third book lol :P

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ Great review! *thumbs up*

Miranda Reads Fuzaila wrote: "Great review Miranda! These books always work when you need a quick light read. Even though I balled my eyes out in the third book lol :P"

Oh no. Now I'm scared to continue!

Miranda Reads Reynita wrote: "Great review! *thumbs up*"

Thank you!

Fuzaila Miranda wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Great review Miranda! These books always work when you need a quick light read. Even though I balled my eyes out in the third book lol :P"

Oh no. Now I'm scared to continue!"

Don't be. But I'd really suggest you stop after the 3rd book. I mean, after that, it just gets a gender-bent twist.

Miranda Reads Hmmm... Thanks for the heads up :)

✦ Maica ✦ *facepalm* I just realized that I said Maven instead of Maxon. As you can see, War Storm's release really jumbled my brain xD Sorry for any confusion!

Miranda Reads I got what you meant :p Maven, Maxon...close enough

Tonya That is hilarious on the accents.. I have not listened to the audiobooks, but you are right...doesn't sound like they planned ahead. Great view, thanks! :)

Miranda Reads Yeah....listening to it really threw me off. Still a fun book though!

message 27: by KReads24 (new)

KReads24 These are my exact thoughts on this book! I read it a few years ago and kind of despised the main character (she gets worse), but there was something so addicting about reading them. Great review!

Sydney B Great review! I've read the series and would recommend finishing it, only because the One (book 3) is so good! The Elite is OK, its just kinda one of those in-the-middle-boring-ish books :)

Sydney B And I just need to ask- did you intentionally make your username funny? You probably did, and if so, its AMAZING!!

Miranda Reads KReads24 wrote: "These are my exact thoughts on this book! I read it a few years ago and kind of despised the main character (she gets worse), but there was something so addicting about reading them. Great review!"

Sometimes you just *need* a book like this :P

Miranda Reads Sydney wrote: "Great review! I've read the series and would recommend finishing it, only because the One (book 3) is so good! The Elite is OK, its just kinda one of those in-the-middle-boring-ish books :)"

Definitely agree that the Elite is a *meh* book. It didnt really add much...and it took SO LONG to get the point across. Very frustrating to read!

Sydney wrote: "And I just need to ask- did you intentionally make your username funny? You probably did, and if so, its AMAZING!!"

LOL - yes. Took me forever to pick out the username :)

message 32: by Anaya (new)

Anaya fantastic review

Trisha Great review, Miranda! I liked the book but I didn't love it because the world building made such little sense and the interactions between the girls wasn't explored enough for me.

message 34: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 Thanks for this review ! :)

The "unpure girls"?
What about Aspen? Quickly forgotten?

Miranda Reads Anaya wrote: "fantastic review"

Thank you!

Miranda Reads Trisha wrote: "Great review, Miranda! I liked the book but I didn't love it because the world building made such little sense and the interactions between the girls wasn't explored enough for me."

Yes! I agree so much!! I was so close to liking the book!

Miranda Reads Julia971 wrote: "Thanks for this review ! :)

The "unpure girls"?
What about Aspen? Quickly forgotten?"

Exactly. It's super annoying!

Trisha I keep debating if I want to read the other books or not!

message 39: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Gonzalez Oh well, got me interested on reading the book.

Miranda Reads Trisha wrote: "I keep debating if I want to read the other books or not!"

Mmmmm... this one is (by far) the best, so decide based on how much you like #1!

Miranda Reads Jessica wrote: "Oh well, got me interested on reading the book."

Give it a shot then :)

Janett Nice review. I love this series! The first 3 books anyway. I agree that Kiera's research was lacking especially in simple things like calling Maxon "Majesty" which is improper for a Prince. I also found that she struggled with the politicking. This series could've been way better had she taken the extra effort to do better research.
I believe the reason why Clarkson decided on the timing to hold the Selection is explained in book #2.

message 43: by Nora… (new) - added it

Nora… and... another book for my tbr

Miranda Reads Janett wrote: "Nice review. I love this series! The first 3 books anyway. I agree that Kiera's research was lacking especially in simple things like calling Maxon "Majesty" which is improper for a Prince. I also ..."

That's a good point!

Miranda Reads Nora… wrote: "and... another book for my tbr"

Haha, the never-ending tbr!

message 46: by Bunny (new) - rated it 1 star

Bunny Cass saw a bandwagon and hopped on it. It's sad, really.

Miranda Reads Bunny wrote: "Cass saw a bandwagon and hopped on it. It's sad, really."

LOL yes. She saw a bandwagon coming her way and took full advantage of it

message 48: by Bunny (new) - rated it 1 star

Bunny Reminds of the Twilight craze from back in the day (2005 feels like a thousand years ago) and everyone and their grandma decided to make a story about a girl having a love affair with a vamp, a werewolf, an angel, or a blob monster. Nah, I have Vampire Academy and The Vampire Diaries, thank you kindly.