Thomas Bell's Reviews > Betty Before X

Betty Before X by Ilyasah Shabazz

I have to admit I was nervous about reading this book. The author, Ilyasah Shabazz, is an activist and the daughter of the famous black supremacist Malcolm X. (Ilyasah is lucky by the way - her two older sisters are named after Attila the Hun and Kublai Khan respctively, though she was named after the hypocritical leader, Elijah Muhammad, of the hateful Nation of Islam).

Anyway, the book is actually really good. It talks about the life of Malcolm X's future wife, Betty Shabazz, turing her early teenage years. We learn a little about what it was like to be Black in late 1940's Detroit, and we learn about different movements going on to try to make life better for the Black people. We also get a good deal of difficulties relating to crappy parenting, good parenting, friendship, etc.

Altogether, I recommend the book. The characters are well-written and have very convincing personalities. The story isn't so much of a story as it is a segment in someone's life. I like the lessons learned, and I love the whole 'Count your Blessings' theme throughout the book.

Also makes me wonder why the person so depicted in this book would marry Malcolm X - an black supremacist who incited hate, violence and racism and who encouraged segregation.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betty Before X.

May 14, 2018 – Started Reading