Lady Lioness's Reviews > Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks

Nov 23, 2011

bookshelves: tbr-journal, subgenre-psychic-powers, genre-military-romance, read-january-2012, 2012-rt-reviewers-choice-nominees
Read on January 04, 2012

Coming back to this one to finally write a review for it. As you may or may not know, I have PTSD. It's been a while since I've had a flashback and I consider myself 85% 'cured.' There are some things I'll never be completely rid of, but it no longer affects my life on a daily basis. As a result, I am particularly sensitive to 'trauma' romances.

Whispers in the Dark is like the ultimate survivor fantasy. By virtue of the telepathic element, Nathan and Shea are the luckiest people ever because they have someone else in their life who gets it, someone who intuitively understands without the need for words that never quite capture what you're feeling. The previous books in the KGI series were straight up military romance and any resultant trauma (i.e. Rachel in The Darkest Hour) is handled much more realistically.
In essence, you have to treat these books as two distinct series with overlapping characters.

If you like KGI for the wounded, sensitive, manly man, heroes, then you should have no problem with Whispers in the Dark. If you like it for the heart-stopping action and suspense, you will likely have a problem with this book as it's very dependent on the telepathy factor. Try Lisa Marie Rice instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in the Dark.