Brina (Brina and the Books)'s Reviews > Piece of Work

Piece of Work by Staci Hart

bookshelves: 2018, arcs, favorites, standalone

4 Stars

Read my full review as part of the Piece of Work - Blog Tour here: Brina and the Books

One of the reasons I love Staci Hart's novels so much is the setting. All of her books are set in the best city of the world: New York City. Her descriptions of certain places in my favorite city are so real and vivid that I can actually see myself being there. Although I've visited the MET only a few times, it brought back great memories.
I really enjoyed reading about Court and Rin being so fascinated, passionate, and in love with art. I guess most people think it's boring as f*** but Court and Rin gave art a whole new perspective and meaning.

Court and Rin were polar opposites: sexy, confident, arrogant, and moody compared to shy, quiet, self-conscious, and kind. But somehow they just clicked and they worked great together and accomplished a lot of impressive things. However, Court was a little too bossy, arrogant, and alpha-male for my taste. Nevertheless, he was a great guy underneath all his brooding.

The focus wasn't solely on romance, though. A big part of this story was about self-discovery, being who you are, and learning that you are in charge of your own happiness. I loved it! There are so many heroines in the book world these days who still "need to be saved" by the male species or other people. Rin was the perfect example that there is another way. You don't need someone else to get what you want and to become who you want to be. If you want something, get it.

"If you want to wear red lipstick and curl your hair, do it. If you want to wear no makeup and shave your head, do it. If you want to clean house and take care of your kids all day, do it. If you want to work full-time and put your kids in daycare, goddammit, do the damn thing. Because that is feminism - the right to live however the hell you want regardless of whether or nor you have a vagina."

Another thing I want to address in this review is diversity. Staci Hart's books and stories are always a little but different than the rest. Good different. She writes about everyday stuff and everyday problems and often adds a healthy dose of diversity to her novels. Piece of Work was no exception and I really liked it. I want more of that in the books I read.

**********

This was a great one!!!
RTC!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piece of Work.

May 13, 2018 – Shelved