Lauren's Reviews > Article 5

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian

I had trouble making it through this book, because I could barely stand Ember, the MC, through most of the story. She made poor decisions, had no ability to read people or the situations around her and generally drove me insane. She had a total failure to grasp the seriousness of a situation – a pattern she repeated continuously throughout the novel. I get that she was naive, and had trouble believing that her society was capable of what it was doing to her and others. But by sheer fact of the number of dire situations that she was put into, I thought that she should have figured it out much sooner. Poor Chase, I loved. He was devoted to her and did anything that he could to protect her.

I think part of my problem with Ember is that I like when a book makes me feel the emotions of it’s characters, especially the MC. However, I never empathized with Ember. I just wanted to yell at her to get over herself and start trusting Chase. And then near the end when she (view spoiler) I truly wanted to strangle her. (view spoiler) I’m just hoping that she and Chase can continue to work together throughout the next book, because I don’t think I could read another novel of her being ridiculous.

End: (view spoiler)

I don’t usually like a lot of flashbacks, but I thought the flashes to Ember and Chase before he entered the FBR worked really well in the text, and were necessary to give a sense of them before the government destroyed them. In this case I really appreciated the “showing” aspect of their previous relationship.

The dystopian society in which the novel was placed, certainly was a scary place to live. Sometimes the dystopian societies I read about are so outlandish that I can’t imagine our world ever going there. However I could definitely see this happening to our world if certain people came into power. So I will give the author props for world building.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Article 5.

November 23, 2011 – Shelved