Karima chermiti's Reviews > S.T.A.G.S

S.T.A.G.S by M.A. Bennett

did not like it
bookshelves: 2018, thriller, young-adult

This book is the definition of boredom. I can't believe I finished it even though i liked nothing about, not a thing.

I could've reread 13 Minutes or Little Monsters or We Were Liars and i would had a very good time but instead i chose this book and it ended up being one brutal exhausting and totally disappointing reading experience that bored the feelings out of me.

Full review now posted

Hate is a strong word. I don’t use very often in my life, I don’t think I’ve ever used at all when talking about books, except maybe once and I don’t like to use it at all. But S.T.A.G.S brought out that emotion in spades and I hated every single moment of this miserable nightmarish experience. If I could take away the memories of reading this book out of me, I would. I hated it that much.

So is this going to be a decent review? No chance in hell. this is going to be filled with me ranting and saying things that’s not going to make any sense because I’m so angry that I wasted my time with this thing that I can’t think straight. Another thing, I’m not going to be using the characters names in this review because I remember them not and I’m not interested in going back to the book and rediscover their names so I will be using the good guys and the bad guys so I won’t spoil anything for you.

So let’s start my ranting by saying that if you’re looking for your next young adult thriller then get out of here as fast of you can because nothing about this book is thrilling and if you think you’re getting into a survival story with guts and stakes then well there’s survival arc alright but it’s so underwhelming and badly executed that if leaves nothing to be desired. I assure you you’ll have a greater time with books like We Were Liars, 13 Minutes and Little Monsters. These three boos are mysterious, atmospheric and disturbing in a way this book wasn’t.

So let’s now move on to the things that I’m salty about with this book. S.T.A.G.S was in the front of my mind since it was released and I decided that I’ll be reading it for sure. Famous yet ambiguous boarding school, people with hidden agendas and a survival story with a spooky nature, that’s what I thought the story has to offer. But now that I’ve read this book, I’d like to go back in time to my former self and shake her into submission so she won’t read the book and I won’t be writing this review right now. But ALAS, regret is no help for me. I’m telling you guys that writing these types of reviews is no fun at all. It’s draining all the positive energy and making me exhausted but we all gotta do what we gotta do.

description

The story has a promise and a potential, I’ll give it that but it was soon slaughtered with those long descriptive passages that did nothing but annoy and bore me to death. I mean the story is less than 300 pages and for most of the times I’m stuck inside that heroine head while she’s describing everything her eyes lay upon. I know that the bad guys live in luxury like royals but do we really need to hear about that every single chapter. I hate long descriptive passages especially when they offer nothing to the plot and with this book, not only they were repetitive and boring but it also took space that could’ve been given to more character and plot development.

description

Speaking of plot, it was so underdeveloped and so predictable that I felt like I was drowning in all the nonsense going on. I understand that the story strived to be creepy and disturbing and twisted but for me it was all ridiculous and unbelievable.

The lack of suspense and stakes also killed my intrigue and my interest faster than quicksilver. Right from the start, we know who the bad guys are and who the good ones are. We know a murder took place, we know who was the victim and the identity of the killers. We knew everything so it’s all about how we get there and I was actually looking forward to it but the it all become clear for me and to be honest, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out where the story is headed every single chapter and how it’s going to turn out. It felt like the story lacked all the crazy elements that my favorite thrillers tend to exploit very well in crafting an engaging story that leaves no room for boredom or predictability.

And even the survival aspect of the story was written in a poor way. The good guys didn’t survive because they were bloody tough and know how to handle themselves in the midst of dangerous situation; the truth is that they were manipulated into thinking that they survived due to that. For me, it was a stroke of lack that one of the good ones happens to have a very valuable item in her possession that they used to their advantage. Without that item, they would’ve been toast.

And speaking of the characters, I didn’t like any single one of them. Let’s start with the villains. They are not written in a way that makes them fascinating or interesting. They do all of these things that are evil but for what reasons, where’s the motivation that can convince me that these should be really considered great villains. For me, it was so ridiculous and weird and didn’t feel that well thought out.

The good ones weren’t that better. Their characters were flat and one dimensional and didn’t peak my interest for a second. But let’s just say that the main female character is the worst of them all. She was dull, stupid and easily manipulated. Like what the hell was she thinking most of times, behaving that way even though it was abundantly clear that something is wrong with the students that invited them. No, she actually doesn’t care about that, not when the main villain is so handsome and his eyes are so deep and beautiful and he makes her feel so pretty. I mean what she is doing for heaven’s sake. She knew how bad he was and she has a very solid proof on all the horrible things he’s done but he’s actually look pretty good and concerned so to hell with all the dirt she has on him. He can’t be possible that bad and that handsome, can he now. I swear that girl has the intelligence of an empty chair. And to see her disregard her friends worries for him and putting their lives in danger because she’s just that infatuated with him. I can’t even with her. I just can’t

description

But you know, if I have to mention a one thing that didn’t suck that much, it’d probably be the ending. If the book had the same vibe and intrigue of that final chapter, you would be looking at my next favorite young adult thriller but instead here we are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read S.T.A.G.S.

May 13, 2018 – Started Reading