Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*'s Reviews > The Good Samaritan

The Good Samaritan by John Marrs

EXCERPT: I listened with blissful satisfaction right until her final breath. That's the one sound that matters to me above all others. . . that one precious moment when someone breathes their last, then slips away. People in pain, like Chantelle, place themselves in my hands because I understand them better than anyone else in the world. I know more about what they need than their brothers, sisters, parents, spouses, best friends or children. I understand them because I know what's best for them. If they place their trust in me, I'll reward them by going to the ends of the earth to help them. I'll alleviate their suffering. I'll bring all that is bad in their lives to an end. I will save them from themselves. That is what I am: a saviour of lost souls.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: She’s a friendly voice on the phone. But can you trust her?

The people who call End of the Line need hope. They need reassurance that life is worth living. But some are unlucky enough to get through to Laura. Laura doesn’t want them to hope. She wants them to die.

Laura hasn’t had it easy: she’s survived sickness and a difficult marriage only to find herself heading for forty, unsettled and angry. She doesn’t love talking to people worse off than she is. She craves it.

But now someone’s on to her—Ryan, whose world falls apart when his pregnant wife ends her life, hand in hand with a stranger. Who was this man, and why did they choose to die together?

The sinister truth is within Ryan’s grasp, but he has no idea of the desperate lengths Laura will go to…

Because the best thing about being a Good Samaritan is that you can get away with murder.

MY THOUGHTS: The Good Samaritan by John Marrs should have been a chilling read, sinister, but it was all a bit flat. The premise oozes potential, the plot is brilliant, something that hasn't been done before, but it just never quite all came together for me. I never became invested in the characters. It took me until I was halfway through the book before I had an OMG! moment and my interest sparked. But it was fleeting.

I have been trying to determine just why this book was almost a failure for me. I had gotten to the point where I was skimming and starting to wonder if I might abandon this read when I got to that first OMG! moment. Then there were a few of these moments in quick succession. Yes! I thought. It's a slow burner that has finally taken off. I was excited. Briefly. By the time I was 70% through, my spark was extinguished.

As I said, the premise oozes potential and the plot is great. It was the execution that lacked that 'certain something' for me. It's not a bad book. It's okay. But nothing more. Which is a pity. 2.5 stars

Thank you to Thomas and Mercer via Netgalley for providing a digital copy of The Good Samaritan by John Marrs for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the 'about' page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system.

This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Samaritan.

January 18, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
May 13, 2018 – Started Reading
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: family-drama
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller
May 16, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: 2-star

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Bummer, Sandy. I've been seeing variable reviews of this author's books. Appreciate your detailed breakdown of this one.

Sarah Joint I'm sorry this one didn't really work for you, Sandy! Great review though.

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Honest review! On to better reads, Sandy! :)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Christine wrote: "Bummer, Sandy. I've been seeing variable reviews of this author's books. Appreciate your detailed breakdown of this one."

Thanks Christine. I haven't read this author before. 😎

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Sarah wrote: "I'm sorry this one didn't really work for you, Sandy! Great review though."

Thanks Sarah. Can't win them all!😎

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Michelle wrote: "Honest review! On to better reads, Sandy! :)"

Thanks Michelle 😎

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean Well, phooey! That's disappointing. You did a nice job reviewing this, though.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Jean wrote: "Well, phooey! That's disappointing. You did a nice job reviewing this, though."

Thanks Jean. This has had mainly positive reviews, but for me it could have been better. 😎

message 9: by Rita (new) - added it

Rita Good review, Sandy and I'm sorry about the book. I've got it on my Kindle although I never ordered it. It just magically appeared there one day and when I look at the Amazon records, it says that I didn't pay anything for it. Maybe I won it in an Amazon giveaway and never got the email. Anyway, after your review, I won't be in any rush to read it.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Rita wrote: "Good review, Sandy and I'm sorry about the book. I've got it on my Kindle although I never ordered it. It just magically appeared there one day and when I look at the Amazon records, it says that I..."

Thanks Rita. I honestly don't think you would enjoy this one. 😎

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Shame it wasn't a better read Sandy!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Maureen wrote: "Shame it wasn't a better read Sandy!"

I wish I could have liked it more Maureen. I loved the idea behind it. 😎

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ What a shame - I love the premise and the name of the helpline. :(

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry A very useful review, Sandy. I've heard variable things about this one. I would like to try one by this author. Is there another by Marrs that you prefer?