Vanessa Fuller's Reviews > Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture

Not That Bad by Roxane Gay

bookshelves: books-i-own, autobiographical, non-fiction, women, political, women-s-literature

This should be required reading for every single man and boy, particularly for those who continue to objectify women and girls, who think we're just 'asking for it' because of how we look or dress, or that catcalling and leers and unwelcome attention are simply their way of telling us we look good.

This should be required reading for all those who question women and girls who step forward and name their harassers and attackers. Who scream foul when we who have survived remember some details so, so vividly and others escape us. We lived through our nightmares, and we continue to do so years later.

And, this should be read aloud every single minute of every single day outloud to Brett Kavanaugh. Just play it in his inner ear and mind on endless repeat until he and those who enabled him get it. In fact, the same treatment should apply to all those who supported and voted for his nomination and confirmation to sit on the Supreme Court. Because watching Dr Blasey-Ford reminded all of us who do not need reminding that it was just that bad.

Here's to the survivors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not That Bad.

May 13, 2018 – Shelved
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 3, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
March 24, 2019 – Started Reading