Vicki's Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

8620411

bookshelves: tower-teams-vi-2018

Honestly I don't know how to review this book. I don't think I have ever read a book any more difficult to read due to its graphic nature of such a difficult subject matter.

Loung was only 5 years old when her family was forced out of their home. Luckily (if that's the right word choice) her family was fairly well-to-do so they didn't have to be among the people to walk barefoot (at first) since they had a car. They also had possessions they were able to trade for food. Loung had several siblings and, as one would imagine, they were split up and there were deaths.

I can't believe what Loung went through as a child 5-9 years old. The things she did to survive, I can't even imagine a child that young being able to do.

I was interested in this book because I taught high school for 25 years, and when I taught multicultural lit and we read books like The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston and were studying Asian countries, a colleague and friend of mine at the high school would come in and talk to the class and show a slideshow. She was about the same age as Loung Ung when her family was forced out of their home during the Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia. She remembers vividly (just as Loung seems to) that time. She told the class heartbreaking stories and spoke about Pol Pot and the genocide of the Cambodian people, so this book held special interest for me.

Recommendation: It is definitely a difficult book to read emotionally. There are some graphic parts that I didn't "enjoy" reading, but even the ugly things in life need to be told and remembered so that (hopefully) they aren't repeated. So please pick up a copy and read this important book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.

May 13, 2018 – Started Reading