Sionna's Reviews > Just One of the Royals

Just One of the Royals by Leah Rooper

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley, contemporary, romance, sports, young-adult

*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book and I didn't agree, but I was able to pull through and finish it. The thing is, 15% into the book I knew how it would end. Like, I've pretty much read this plot line before in both YA and adult romance books, so all the steps were pretty obvious... unfortunately. Someone new to romance might not know these steps, though, so it might be a good read for them. But for Madison, our main character who claims to watch K-dramas, she totally should have seen the ending coming as well, so I don't even understand why she did what she did.

I weirdly didn't even realize this was YA until I started it... I honestly thought they would be 18-22 years old... so, rearranging their ages in my head, did cause an issue. How is a 17 year old known in two countries for his ways with women and doing keggers?? Like, how is he drinking himself completely drunk and yet his mother doesn't care.
It feels like this was supposed to be a NA book, but then things were changed or added in for drama and to make it YA.

The thing is, I did really like the concept. I like lost princes or being forced to be King-- bringing modern touches to traditional places. I loved how Madison is Korean-American, bringing in a bit of a diverse mix, even if it isn't really brought up. The k-pop and k-drama mentions though, made me smile. Her stuff was a bit cliche.... parents wanting her to be a doctor and all.

Look, when if comes down to it, this is a cute romance with a sports background; a romance I think guys and gals could like and the dual-perspective, I think is done pretty well. I will recommend this to people who want a fluffy romance with mentions of hockey and royalty.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One of the Royals.

May 13, 2018 – Shelved
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 20, 2018 – Started Reading
May 20, 2018 –
15.0% "Damn, think I know how the late conflict will go..."
May 20, 2018 – Finished Reading