Emily's Reviews > Out of Left Field

Out of Left Field by Kris Hui Lee

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read March 9, 2019.

As someone who was the only girl in a baseball league for years, and who, at age 14, was told by the all-male administration that I wasn't allowed to play anymore and to "go play softball" as if it's the same sport, I LOVE any book featuring girl baseball players, so I was so excited to read this book. (I am also a part-time assistant varsity baseball coach whenever I'm home from university. And I regret that I never tried out in middle or high school, so I'm a big fan of Marnie.)

Marnie's a badass. Yeah, she's stubborn and impulsive and loud-mouthed, but that's me when I play baseball. I love the neighborhood group that plays in the sandlot and am very jealous of their dynamic but mostly of how often they play! Damn, I miss baseball. Like, I miss playing on a team.

Anyway.

I did have trouble suspending my disbelief in regards to the timeline - I believe the whole thing takes place in just one week? Seems rather fast when you consider just how much happens - with the relationships, friendships, etc, but also with Marnie learning sidearm in a day. The interactions with Santino also seemed like they were spread out over weeks, and I was startled when I realized Marnie had met him only a few days before. I also wish there had been more of a resolution with Sara and Joey.

Overall, though, I loved all the baseball aspects. I'm a sucker for YA contemporary, and this didn't disappoint, evidenced by my racing through it in one afternoon. Great spring/summer read!! (Actual rating: 3.75 stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Left Field.

May 12, 2018 – Started Reading