MeinLesezeichenBlog's Reviews > Spindle Fire

Spindle Fire by Lexa Hillyer

it was ok

*Letting out the breath I didn't know I was holding*
I was lured into reading this novel by the gorgeous cover design. And by the way, who can say no to a fairy tale re-telling? The only reason that kept me back in the beginning was the fact that 'Spindle fire' is a YA novel and I'm really skeptical when it comes to YA fantasy. I think I have grown out of this genre. But I gave it a shot anyway.

First and foremost, I liked the bond that Aurora and Isabelle share throughout the novel (the tapping, the urge to help each other, etc.). But nevertheless, I wasn't quite convinced as it was still somewhat superficial and short-lived. Another thing I found engaging were the parallels between the two human sisters and the fairie sisters. It was an interesting and profound catch to the story.

There is something that really really upset me: All those romantic clichés and love triangles. Way too many. I really cannot stand them. And please, talk to each other. PLEASE! That's what I hate YA for, I'm really sorry. It's just not credible and too shallow.

Another downside to the story was the world building. It was all too vague and shallow with random descriptions, especially the Borderland wasn't described very well. I wasn't able to properly picture the world in my mind. Sadly, because on the whole the idea behind the retelling is brilliant: the spindle, the faeries, the sleeping sickness, the oneiric elements, the physically impaired protagonists and the Borderland. Even though I've never been a great fan of 'Alice in Wonderland', I liked the way the author integrated some elements of the story into her own.

Regarding the protagonists I really couldn't stand Miss Special Snowflake Aurora. Her plot line was not as engaging as her sisters'. Nevertheless, I thought it was cool how Aurora changed: her physical impairment, the perspective on herself and onto the world. I also preferred the Isbe-William duo to the Isbe-Gil duo. They seemed more natural and more harmonious to me. And what about Heath? Hm, I don't know. I couldn't really place him. I had the feeling that he was a means to an end, that is to have just another love triangle.
Isabelle was just cool. She is blind but this doesn't stop her. You go girl! Her perspective gave a challenging tone to the events. However, sometimes I wondered whether a blind person could really do all the things the author describes. I cannot judge this part of the story and I won't. I just wanted to mention it, as it impressed me and gave it some thought.

What also troubled me was that for most of the part of the novel the narration was really a 're-'telling: A mere description of the events (using a strange verb tense). It felt too static and too superficial.

All in all, the story didn't fully catch my attention. It didn't fulfill its potential. Nevertheless, I think that YA fantasy is not my case anymore. Now, I have higher demands regarding the world building, protagonists and their relations, and plot line. 'Spindle fire' was just too shallow and not elaborate enough. I'm not sure whether I'm going to read the second book of the series. Maybe some time in the future, but not right now. I'm not impatiently anticipating it and honestly, I'm not curious about how the the story is going to continue (despite the 'cliff hanger').

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spindle Fire.

May 13, 2018 – Shelved