jessica's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

‘you may kill me with your hatefulness,
but still, like air, i rise.’

- maya angelou

this poem was literally all i could think about whilst reading this book, and both are so important. from a cultural standpoint, i thought this book was brilliant. the diversity and representation is what gave this book its power. and although i wasnt as obsessed with the plot and characters as the rest of the universe seems to be, i still found this to be a pretty good story. i thought inan was a high point - his growth and journey towards acceptance was quite lovely to read. the only thing that really bothered me was the ending, as i cant stand cliffhangers. i wish there had been more of a conclusion, but overall, i was very pleased with this impressive debut!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

May 12, 2018 – Shelved
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
May 31, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Yusra  ✨ hope you enjoy it more than I did!!

jessica thanks, yusra!! i tend to be wary of hyped books, so fingers crossed this one works out!! :)

Gaby (lookingatbooks) It didn’t live up to the hype for me, unfortunately. I wanted it to so bad because the setting is really cool! Hopefully you enjoy it, though

jessica ughhh. so sorry this one didnt work out for you, gaby. but thank you! im also hoping this one will be a hit, rather than a miss, for me.

message 5: by Arika (new)

Arika Couldn’t get into this one myself, I found it boring and full of cliches. The hype deceived me once again! But I’m super glad books like this exist and I support the series’ and authors future endeavours.

Lola I love how you're reading so many hyped books! Because I'm always curious about your opinion on them. I enjoyed this one, but I wouldn't say it's the BEST fantasy book of all times, so like don't expect to fall off your seat ahah

jessica arika - yes!! from a cultural perspective, this is amazing. but i can already understand how this didnt do it for some people. im sorry you fall into that category. :(

lola - hahaha. i am usually AGES behind when it comes to hyped books, but i decided 2018 would be the year where i try to keep up with everyone! so far, its decent. like you said, not amazing but enjoyable!!

message 8: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Nice review! I'm excited for this one. The list is SO long for it at the library!

jessica oh, i know!! luckily my city libraries ordered a lot of copies, so even though the waitlist was massive, it went by relatively quickly. i hope you get to read it soon!! :)

Yusra  ✨ you quotes my favourite Maya Angelou poem!! it fits very well with the book, I agree. glad you liked it Jessica!!

jessica yay!! its such a good poem. and thank you!! i do think this was a little overhyped, but i enjoyed it overall. :)

message 12: by Dash fan (new)

Dash fan Wonderful review x

jessica thank you, as always!! xx