Mortira's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

it was ok

Because I loved Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and I like to think that anything can be improved by the addition of zombies, I had high hopes for this book. I was disappointed.

First, there aren't nearly enough zombies. Throughout the book, the characters and narrator mention the 'dreadfuls' in passing, but there are very few actual zombie encounters, all of which are short and bland.

The incorporation of zombies into the original story is far from seamless, and is often too silly to be really enjoyable. I often had the feeling that I was being told a really long joke that had no hope of being funny. I almost stopped reading when I came to the part about screaming ninjas. After awhile, I lost interest in everything but the original thread, and considered just digging out Pride and Prejudice and reading the untainted version again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

November 23, 2011 – Shelved
December 16, 2011 – Started Reading
December 30, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Jackson We never ever start a sentence with BECAUSE. I don't think you read Pride and Prejudice. And nothing is improved with the addition of zombies. That's the point of zombies. To degrade something.

I think probably the author was going for silly Mortira -- again it's that zombie thing. It's not actually real.

Please don't review anymore items.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I'd heard most of the revamped (or rezombied if you will) books weren't done very well. I had NOT heard about ninjas in this book, and that almost makes me want to read it. :)

Have you read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter? I thought it was fabulous, but the back cover art icked me out.

Mortira If you're into martial arts, you might get a kick out of this book. The Bennett sisters actually spend more time sparring in their private dojo than fighting zombies.

Perhaps I'll give Vampire Hunter a try!