Suzannah's Reviews > Endless Water, Starless Sky

Endless Water, Starless Sky by Rosamund Hodge

bookshelves: fantasy, rating-pg-13

This is the followup to Hodge's previous book Bright Smoke, Cold Fire. To recap: Romeo and Juliet, where Juliet is a clan assassin in a last city beseiged by zombies and protected only by the blood sacrifices of a creepy sisterhood. Also, there are necromancers, and Paris and Rosaline Runajo are viewpoint characters, and however you think this book is going to go, you're probably wrong (unless you guessed that it would turn into a surreal and totally evocative fairytale reminiscent of Dante's Inferno and CS Lewis's The Great Divorce, but from a woman's point of view, in which case I take my hat off to you and would like to consult you about the stockmarket).

This duology hasn't been my favourite Hodge story (that would be Crimson Bound), but Endless Water, Starless Sky delivers an ending that is deeply satisfying while still being equal parts weird and profound. It didn't deliver some of the things I would have expected to get from a story like this, but it did provide some things I didn't expect at all. Beyond the final quarter of the book, which I loved, there's also the character of Juliet herself. With her intense sense of justice and righteousness, with her persistent attempts to reconcile the duty and obedience she believes in with the fact that her authorities are morally bankrupt, self-interested murderers, Juliet is a YA heroine with a difference. In a genre populated by predictably edgy rebels, Juliet is an unpredictably edgy loyalist. And she is awesome at it.

Endless Water, Starless Sky is a YA novel with all the action, suspense, and romance you're looking for, featuring a Romeo and Juliet who are just as keen on getting themselves killed for each other as you would hope for, plus plenty of deeper meaning to keep you thinking long after finishing the story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to see what Rosamund Hodge writes next!

(I received an advance review copy of this book under no obligation to write a positive review. Endless Water, Starless Sky is on preorder right now at Amazon!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endless Water, Starless Sky.

May 12, 2018 – Started Reading
May 12, 2018 – Shelved
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: my-books
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: my-books
May 17, 2018 –
44.0% "Something fathomless and inexhaustible self up through the cracks of the world, drenching it with glory and making it more than she could ever destroy or create or even, perhaps, comprehend. ~ guh, this whole scene is beautiful."
May 21, 2018 –
82.0% "This has turned into a tribute to the INFERNO with notes of George MacDonald and I am ALL FOR IT."
May 22, 2018 – Finished Reading