Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell's Reviews > Little Monsters

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

2190064

bookshelves: ya-ya-land, thriller, the-lost-girls

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I'm low-key shocked that this book doesn't have a bigger following, because this is the Gillian Flynn-esque mystery that I have been seeking out for months. Some YA thrillers try to sugar-coat, but LITTLE MONSTERS, as befitting its title, doesn't hold back. From the beginning to the end, Kara Thomas lets you know that girls are more than capable of being the creatures you fear when you're falling asleep in the dark, only deadly - and real.

Kacey has recently moved in with her father and stepmother after leaving her abusive mother. She has a new stepbrother and half-sister, as well, although her relationship with the whole family is good and not something she takes for granted after having such a tumultuous childhood. She also has two friends named Jade and Bailey, although their relationship, in the way of most teen girl relationships, is tense and fraught with tension.

While reading this book, I kept thinking that it reminded me of something - and then it hit me: Sarah Pinborough's 13 MINUTES. That suffocating small-town paranoia of everyone being in everyone else's business; the mean girls with a sinister (maybe?) agenda, and the twists upon twists upon twists? Yeah, both books have you covered. I feel like if you enjoy Gillian Flynn's work, you will enjoy both of these, but 13 MINUTES is more like GONE GIRL where the easy answer isn't the right one, whereas this book is more like SHARP OBJECTS - there's a twist, and there's a twist about the twist that will make you question everything.

By the way, I liked SHARP OBJECTS more than I did GONE GIRL.

I really enjoyed this book and finished it in basically a day. The pacing was perfect, the diary entries were super creepy, and the twist was unexpected. I literally did not expect who dunnit until the moment of the grand reveal(s), and I'm hard to shock. I'm surprised how many people didn't seem to enjoy this book, but if you like "soft" and easy reads, LITTLE MONSTERS definitely does not fit the bill as it shows girls - and boys - at their most brutal, which is not comfortable reading for everyone.

I, however, loved it - and can't wait to read Kara Thomas's next book.

P.S. Sorry for being all secretive and vague but with books like this, less is definitely more!

Thanks to Netgalley/the publisher for the review copy!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Monsters.

May 12, 2018 – Started Reading
May 12, 2018 – Shelved
page 43
12.8% "I'm having so much fun with this one. It kind of reminds me of Courtney Summers's earlier books. Morally gray bitchy mean girls are THE BEST.

That is all."
page 55
16.37% "[E]vil isn't a spirit or a monster or a ghost. It lives inside regular people, and it doesn't know the difference between night and day.

YEAH BOY
"
page 100
29.76% "Duuuuude, I'm getting serious Gillian Flynn vibes. I have no idea what's going on and I love it. Hope the payoff is worth it."
page 147
43.75% "This is SO addicting and good. I've been reading this all day and I still have no idea what's going to happen, which is super exciting for me, because usually I'm the first to scream, "THE BUTLER DID IT.""
page 200
59.52% "I know they say that hate can destroy a person. But I've never felt so alive.

OH SHIT"
page 336
100.0% "OMGGGGGGGG

Yes, this is just as good as Gillian Flynn. LOVE"
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-ya-land
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller
May 12, 2018 – Shelved as: the-lost-girls
May 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* I just read this and it was amazeballs

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I just read this and it was amazeballs"

RIGHT? That twist!!!!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Yeah I didn't see that coming.

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell I love #BookMoments like that

message 5: by Stuti (new) - added it

Stuti T Ahh yay I love Thomas and I loved SHARP OBJECTS, so I'm sure I'll like this one.

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell Stuti wrote: "Ahh yay I love Thomas and I loved SHARP OBJECTS, so I'm sure I'll like this one."

I hope you enjoy!

message 7: by George (new)

George Jankovic Awesome review, Nenia!

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell George wrote: "Awesome review, Nenia!"

Thank you!

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell Michael wrote: "Hi,

Based on your review of Little Monsters, I thought you might like my novel, Pumpkin Farmer. It is a dark, psychological thriller set in 1979 San Francisco. I've included a link below. Thank yo..."

Please don't spam this site. It will hurt, more than it will help, your sales.