C.G. Drews's Reviews > American Royals

American Royals by Katharine McGee

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2019

You know when you read a book and feel like it is directly meant to be on Netflix as a romcom? this. 😂So it was fun! I hoped it would be a bit like a YA version of Red White & Royal Blue, but it wasn't (that's on me for expectations, not on the book!). It's very much about the pressures of a life under the scrutiny of the public eye. Tbh I thought it'd be MORE stressful with scandals and paparazzi and clean up and all that. But I really liked how each character responded to their lot in live. And it has some serious thoughts on expectations, what it means to be "strong" for women, sexism against girls in media, and power struggles.

There are 4 POVs: Beatrice (future queen), Samantha (younger sister, princess, the spare), Daphne (social climber, ruthless), Nina (unassuming bff of Sam but also in love with the prince but too low in "status"). Look they were all interesting, but I only liked Sam, oops. I wish it had had less POVs and gone deeper into fleshing out the romances. 400 pages for 4 romances is only 100 pages each, which didn't feel enough to go deep!

Overall, fun and fluffy, but with meaningful moments. And I definitely enjoyed the fact it's America but with a monarchy. 😂

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Royals.

May 11, 2018 – Shelved