Sarah Brentyn's Reviews > Have Bags, Will Travel: Trips and Tales - Memoirs of an Over-Packer

Have Bags, Will Travel by D.G. Kaye

I laughed out loud at many of the author’s experiences of the perils of traveling. Going through security and customs. Aisles too narrow to avoid smacking seated passengers in the face with your carry-on. Her hilarious airplane bathroom “ritual”, which is something a lot of us perform. (Or perhaps it’s just me.) Which brings me to the section on germs. I laughed as much over Kaye’s descriptions as I did over the memory of doing many of these same things. I love her decision to call germaphobic compulsions “a lifestyle as opposed to a disorder”.

The latter half of the book is filled with anecdotes of trips taken and shopping done. While I’m not a shopaholic (actually, I avoid going to stores), I still got a chuckle out of the author’s antics. And I can relate to the lure of vacation shopping—it’s a powerful force. Unfortunately, I can also relate to being the one passenger consistently being pulled over at customs. Every time. Everywhere I go. It’s become part of my traveling routine and a joke in my family.

The chatty and conversational writing style makes this a fun read. If you’re taking a trip, make room in your carry-on for this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have Bags, Will Travel.

Finished Reading
November 7, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
November 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
May 11, 2018 – Shelved