Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥'s Reviews > We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

”We were warm and shivering,
and young and ancient,
and alive."

When I began to read this book I went in completely blind and had absolutely no clue what it was about. The blurb on the back didn’t tell me anything about the plot and everything I knew was that “We Were Liars” had apparently won the YA Goodreads Choice Award in 2014.
So yeah, I just decided to read it and hoped it would be good and looking at it in retrospective this actually was the best decision I could have made! ;-P

Because let’s face it, this book will mess with your head big time.
The Liars will make you wonder, they’ll make you question what happened in summer 15 and you’ll not only become curious but you’ll also feel a need to read on. XD

”Silence is a protective coating over pain.”

Of course there are plenty of hints, but will you be able to figure them out or will you be in the dark until the end?
I guess by now you already realised that this isn’t one of my typical reviews and yes, you’re right. I won’t write anything about the plot. Sorry?! No, I think I’m not. *lol*

”A brute beneath a pleasant surface, betraying his kindness in letting me come to his sheltered island every year – I’ve betrayed him by seducing his Catherine, his Cadence. And my penance is to become the monster he always saw in me.”

This is a book you’ll have to experience for yourself! And I want you all to scream: ”WHAT THE FREAKING HELL!!??” when you finally reach the ending. Haha!
And before you ask, yes I screamed it loud and clear!!! XD This story is a mindfuck and even my (usually very) observant mind wasn’t ready for the finale! ;-P

So all I’m going to do is to give you a little character description. The rest you’ll have to figure out on your own. XD

Meet the Liars:

Mirren:
”She is sugar. She is curiosity and rain.”
”Be a little kinder than you have to.”

Johnny:
”He is bounce. He is effort and snark.”
”Never eat anything bigger than your ass.”

Gat:
”Do not accept an evil you can change.”
”His nose was dramatic, his mouth sweet. Skin deep borwn, hair black and waving. Body wired with energy. Gat seemed spring-loaded. Like he was searching for something. He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee. I could have looked at him forever.”

Cady:
”Always do what you are afraid to do,” I say.
”These days she is a gnarled crone, touching the raw flesh of my brain with her cruel fingernails. She pokes my exposed nerves, exploring whether she’ll take up residence in my skull. If she gets in, I’m confined to my bedroom for a day or maybe two.”

Are you curious and intrigued already?

If yes, I hope you’ll enjoy the book as much as I did. It was a really nice and fast read and it definitely exceeded my expectations.
No! Truth be told, it completely messed with my mind.
But we all love deliberate confusion, don’t we? ;-P

”I suffer migraines. I do not suffer fools.
I like a twist of meaning.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Liars.

Quotes Virginia Ronan Liked

E. Lockhart
“It was love, and it hit me so hard I leaned against the screen door that still stood between us, just to stay vertical. I wanted to touch him like he was a bunny, a kitten, something so special and soft your fingertips can’t leave it alone. The universe was good because he was in it. I loved the hole in his jeans and the dirt on his bare feet and the scrab on his elbow and the scar that laced through one eyebrow. Gat, my Gat.”
E. Lockhart, We Were Liars

May 11, 2018 – Started Reading
May 11, 2018 – Shelved
May 12, 2018 –
page 42
18.5% ""We were warm and shivering,
and young and ancient,
and alive."

I really like the writing style in this book. It seems to be right up my alley. <3"
May 15, 2018 –
page 96
42.29% ""Last night, was Johnny up?"
"I don't know what you're talking about," she says.

Ooookay. So far we have an unreliable narrator and an entire island that's full of people and secrets. I'm intrigued. XD"
May 16, 2018 –
page 138
60.79% ""But the thing that makes me really messed up is the contradiction: when I'm not hating myself, I feel righteous and victimized. Like the world is so unfair."

I still have no idea what happened that summer but damn I'd love to know. This is all so mysterious..."
May 17, 2018 –
page 181
79.74% ""He cried like a man, not like a boy. Not like he was frustrated or hadn't gotten his way, but like life was bitter. Like his wounds couldn't be healed."

By now I really want to know what happened that night!!! Like seriously! All this build up, I need to know! >_<"
May 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)

Matthew I loved it! Some people hate it . . . I hope you like it like I did!

Chloe hope you enjoy! :) personally, i was not a fan but lots of people seem to love it!

jess ❈ I hope you enjoy it! The book was fairly mediocre and eh for me personally, but I can totally see why people like it

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Matthew wrote: "I loved it! Some people hate it . . . I hope you like it like I did!"

Thank you, Matthew! Let's hope I'll like it too! XD

message 5: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat It's very interesting. And one of the few books that actually gets it right when it comes to headache disorders.

Alesja I enjoyed this one. The plot twist in this one is heavy xD

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Chloe wrote: "hope you enjoy! :) personally, i was not a fan but lots of people seem to love it!"

Thanks, Chloe! 😄 I hope I'll love it too.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Jessica wrote: "I hope you enjoy it! The book was fairly mediocre and eh for me personally, but I can totally see why people like it"

This is so interesting. Now I'm really curious. XD

TheRavenReader I'm reading this at the moment and I can't tell if I love it or hate it. Good luck I hope you enjoy it!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ katwiththehat wrote: "It's very interesting. And one of the few books that actually gets it right when it comes to headache disorders."

Okay that sounds intriguing. Can't wait to begin with it! =)

Leona  Carstairs Personally I LOVE this book and I hope you do too!!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Alessia wrote: "I enjoyed this one. The plot twist in this one is heavy xD"

That sounds very promising! =)

Aleeha Sohail This book is so good! The ending is completely unexpected.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ TheRavenReader wrote: "I'm reading this at the moment and I can't tell if I love it or hate it. Good luck I hope you enjoy it!"

Thanks for wishing me luck! XD I hope you'll end up liking it once you finished it. 😊

message 15: by Ray (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ray Actually it's better if you go in blind
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Leona wrote: "Personally I LOVE this book and I hope you do too!!"

That's good to hear! If you loved it chances are high I'll end up liking it too! XD

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Aleeha wrote: "This book is so good! The ending is completely unexpected."

Can't wait to find out if I'll like it or not! 😊 Unexpected endings are always good though. XD

message 18: by Addie (new) - added it

Addie This book killed me. It's amazing.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Ray wrote: "Actually it's better if you go in blind
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did"

Good to know! Thanks Ray! =) I hope so too! XD

message 20: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline I couldn’t get into this book, I was so sad. Maybe I’ll try again sometime

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Addie wrote: "This book killed me. It's amazing."

Ohh that sounds good! All those different opinions make this so very interesting to read. *lol*

Clare Snow I love a twist of meaning!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Caroline wrote: "I couldn’t get into this book, I was so sad. Maybe I’ll try again sometime"

Aww I'm sorry to hear that! >_< As it seems this is one of those books you either like or don't. XD

MischaS_ Hope you like! It's sort of one of my favourites :D

I really liked the style which seemed a bit peculiar. And it reminded me a bit of Mara Dyer series that you cannot really trust to what the narrator is telling you.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Clare wrote: "I love a twist of meaning!"

I think I read that in the book somewhere. *lol*

Clare Snow Its near the beginning. Cady will twist your mind in knots

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ MischaS_ wrote: "Hope you like! It's sort of one of my favourites :D

I hope so too! And I haven't read the Mara Dyer series yet but it's definitely on my TBR. =)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Clare wrote: "Its near the beginning. Cady will twist your mind in knots"

Sounds promising. *lol* XD

message 29: by George (new)

George Jankovic Awesome review, Virginia!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ George wrote: "Awesome review, Virginia!"

Thank you, George! Glad you enjoyed it! ;-)

Lia  °on a summer hiatus but don't worry I'll be back° Great review as always, Gin! I love this book, I can't believe I forgot to rate it🤣

Fuzaila Lol I was just waiting for your reaction. That was one heck of an ending!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Lia Bonnibel wrote: "Great review as always, Gin! I love this book, I can't believe I forgot to rate it🤣"

Thanks, Gansey! ;-) And *lol* how could you forget to rate it? OMG!!? XD

Lia  °on a summer hiatus but don't worry I'll be back° Virginia Ronan wrote: "Lia Bonnibel wrote: "Great review as always, Gin! I love this book, I can't believe I forgot to rate it🤣"

Thanks, Gansey! ;-) And *lol* how could you forget to rate it? OMG!!? XD"

In my defense I read it back in 2015 and I had different priorities back than 🤣

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Lia Bonnibel wrote: "In my defense I read it back in 2015 and I had different priorities back than 🤣"

Haha! Okay, that's a good defence then! XD The years B.GR. are always hard to remember. ;-P

Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books) One of my favorite books of all time! It totally took me by surprise, and honestly, going into it blind is the best decision any potential reader could make. I'm excited to see your full review!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Fuzaila wrote: "Lol I was just waiting for your reaction. That was one heck of an ending!"

Haha! Yeah, it definitely was one heck of an ending! I'm still not over it. XD

123sha One heck of an unexpected ending, right???? 😉

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Jillian wrote: "One of my favorite books of all time! It totally took me by surprise, and honestly, going into it blind is the best decision any potential reader could make. I'm excited to see your full review!"

True! To go in blind was the best way to read this book! XD And some parts of it took me by surprise too. 😊

message 40: by Ray (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ray IKR!!! It blew my mind! I actually had to read the ending twice to get it

Waqar Arif I also liked its unexpected ending 😌

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis LMAO!! I just cracked up reading this!! =)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ 123sha wrote: "One heck of an unexpected ending, right???? 😉"

Yep, that sums it up pretty well. XD

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Ray wrote: "IKR!!! It blew my mind! I actually had to read the ending twice to get it"

Haha! I feel you! The beginning of the fifth part was just: WHAT!? O_o

Salma loll so I finished that book at 1 am and had no one to explain the ending so guess what I stayed the rest of the night re-reading...

MischaS_ Hha, I'm actually excited that you liked the book! :D Looking forward for your review!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Waqar wrote: "I also liked its unexpected ending 😌"

I kinda expected it but then it was still unexpected. *lol*

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Tom wrote: "LMAO!! I just cracked up reading this!! =)"

Glad I could make you laugh! ;-P

Jennifer This book is everything! That ending is everything. All the “paddling while going nowhere” feeling I had while reading this book hit me like a ton of books when I realized how deliberate everything actually was. Yay, I’m glad you liked it!

Alexandra Elend Wolf So glad you liked it! This was one of my favorite reads of last year and I didn't really saw that ending either. It was amazing though and I totally loved the way the story was told.

« previous 1