Lukasz's Reviews > Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords

Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords by Benedict Patrick

19694853

bookshelves: self-published, tbrind, spfbo2018

Benedict Patrick has a Knack for writing engaging stories that merge folktales and fantasy. Yarnsworld is slowly becoming one of my favorite fantasy places. If you haven't visited it yet, you definitely should.

Arturo is a young and naive boy who dreams of becoming a Bravador - protector of the weak and helpless. He packs his blade and travels to the fabled City of Swords to prove himself and join one of Bravadori stables. He has a Knack after all - he's able to read unnoticeable patterns from his opponents' actions and use this information to predict how they would act in battle. A useful gift that, he's sure, will allow him to get renown.

Soon, his dreams are shattered. It turns out the Bravadori of Espadapan are just thugs in masks, taking what they can for fame, glory or the sheer joy of violence and humiliating their opponents. They're just sad echoes of Arturo's childhood dreams.

When a villager asks Arturo for help, he attempts the impossible. He will prove that Bravadori can be noble and selfless. With the help of an outcast and fallen legend, he'll try to save the distant village.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this book. It has it all: great, flawed characters, fantastic setting, and great world-building. It's a book about heroes, loss, and redemption. There was one character, in particular, I wanted to shake and slap who's managed to gain my respect in the end. The other two, I cared for them since the beginning.

Supporting characters were strong and memorable. Main characters' development was believable and genuinely touching. Each of them will surprise you more than once.

The writing is superb. Patrick's prose is easily accessible and while I wouldn't describe it as lyrical it does the trick and allows to feel characters' emotions and imagine the vibrant world he's created.

Long story short - it's Patrick's best book. It's also one of the best indie books I've ever read. It does everything I like in fantasy well - it combines myths, quest-like adventure, and redemption of flawed heroes as well as tales within the tales.

Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords is engaging, immersive and touching. It's a book I'll re-read with pleasure and it's not something I say often. I crave more Yarnsworld stories.

Good news is From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court should be published this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords.

May 10, 2018 – Started Reading
May 10, 2018 – Shelved
May 10, 2018 –
9.0% "Excellent start."
May 11, 2018 –
41.0% "Terrific book (so far). Patrick gets better with each book."
May 12, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: self-published
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: tbrind
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: spfbo2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Long story short - it's Patrick's best book.

Fun! Definitely going to need to read this soon! I loved his other books

Lukasz I wasn't sold on first, I enjoyed second a lot and this one is simply terrific. A bit darker and grittier than his previous books in places but everything gels exceptionally well.

Timy Where The Waters Turn Black is still my favorite. I liked this one, but for me it was predictable the ending.

Lukasz Yes, it was a bit predictable, but I loved it anyway :)