Dorie's Reviews > Abandoned

Abandoned by Allison Brennan

I devoured this book in one quick sitting. It is the perfect blend of mystery, suspense, and police procedural with just a touch of romance. The plot is well thought-out with lots of unexpected twists and turns. It does get a little bit predictable at times, but it was still fun to see how it all played out. You will not want to put this book down!

The characters are all well-developed with interesting and multi-layered personalities. Maxine Revere is a tough and determined investigative reporter with a difficult past. When she was just nine-years-old, her wild and carefree mother, Martha, dropped her off with her grandparents and left to travel the world with her boyfriend. For the first several years, she sent sporadic postcards, usually on or around Max’s birthday. But when Max was 16, the postcards stopped and Martha disappeared without a trace. She was eventually declared legally dead and everyone moved on – except for Max. Now Max has her own cable TV show investigating cold cases. When she gets word of new information regarding her mother’s disappearance, Max sets off for the small seaside town where her mother’s car was found abandoned in an attempt to finally find out once and for all what really happened.

When I first requested this book on NetGalley, I didn’t realize it was book #5 in a series. I haven’t read any of the other books in this series, but the author did a great job of writing this book to stand on its own. I never felt like I was coming into the story late or missing background information. Although now that I’ve read it, I want to read the earlier books in the series. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for free in exchange for my honest review.

BLOG: Dorie's Reading Corner

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandoned.

May 10, 2018 – Started Reading