Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > Lies You Never Told Me

Lies You Never Told Me by Jennifer Donaldson

Initial Impressions 5/11/18: 3- 3.5 stars
HM. Well. This book was definitely interesting but I actually think it could have benefitted from more editing, which although I'm no expert in the editing/publishing process, is something I feel a lot nowadays.

Let's think of non-spoilery things first...
I did find the direction of this book really interesting! There was a nice twist and that light bulb moment when I finally realized exactly where this book was heading and what these two stories had in common was a very fun moment and I had flails and a freak out! That was really nicely planned and it was fun not to pick up on it right away. (Ah, the perks of multi-tasking -- my brain doesn't try to guess twists and plots when it's distracted by other things!)

What I did find irksome was the sort of red herring of the book. There are two major things that happen to change the lives of Elyse and Gabe and the second thing seemed like it was more there as a distraction than something that was actually a part of the story. It just didn't quite seem like it fit in, or thinking about it a different way, it felt like a separate story that didn't quite merge with the main point. (Confusing? It's hard not to spoil!)

Okay, if you really want to know, here are the spoilers --> (view spoiler)I also wish that things had started picking up juuuust a little sooner. I knew it would be a dark, twisty book and I didn't lose interest but I did find myself looking for those jaw-dropping moments, waiting for them to happen. Sure, they don't need to be in every chapter but it just felt like it took a touch too long for a couple things to unravel.

This was a really interesting book and it looks like my other Goodreads friends have really enjoyed it so far! That red herring feeling did stick with me a lot so that's why I didn't enjoy it AS much but I am absolutely interested in other books from Jennifer Donaldson and I'd be so interested to see what else she comes up with!!

Also reviewed on The Book Addict's Guide 8/14/18

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies You Never Told Me.

May 10, 2018 – Shelved
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: from-pub-listening-library
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: ya
May 11, 2018 – Started Reading
May 11, 2018 –
80.0% "WAIT. do I see where this book is going?!?!?"
May 11, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-one-day