Katya's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

I dove into this book with some trepidation. I know that angels are the new vampires in YA fiction, and I've heard enough horror stories about books like Hush Hush or Fallen to have some reservations about Magic Angelic Protagonists. However, the critics of Goodreads had given it enough positive reviews that my hesitancy was short-lived and I gave it a chance. I'm glad I did!

Without spoilers, this is one of the best YA books I've read lately. We come onto the scene after the heroine has learned that she's part angel, so there's no big cliche reveal that writers love so much. There's a healthy mother-daughter relationship that's featured pretty heavily, which is another rarity in YA lit where parents are often conveniently absent. The heroine is strong and motivated and doesn't need to be rescued, which is a nice change and a step away from the Bella-figure that's so prevalent now. And the romance actually has a basis in reality and the two characters slowly getting to know and like each other - you know, like real people do!

Basically, I was pleasantly surprised by this book and I'm excited to see where Hand will take the series. I just hope they leave Christian in the dust because he's a big cardboard bore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Wendy Darling Don't rule Christian out just yet...he might just surprise you in Hallowed!

Katya He did grow a semblance of a personality near the end, so I suppose I could see that... he just pales in comparison to Tucker!