Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior's Reviews > The Nowhere Girls

The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed

If you adored MTV's Sweet/Vicious and bemoaned it's untimely cancellation, boy, have I got a book for you. The Nowhere Girls is a brilliant book about sexual assault, feminism, female friendships, victimhood, love, family, identity, you name it. This book has everything. Though a fair warning, this book is very heavy and pulls no punches. Amy Reed doesn't hide anything and rape is very much the forefront of the conversation and how women's bodies are seen in the eyes of men. She writes every issue so well, I could not put the book down.

There are multiple pov's: Grace (sweet Christian girl new to Prescott), Rosina (punk gay Mexican girl), and Erin (marine biology and Star Trek loving autistic girl). And FYI: I absolutely LOVE all three girls so much!!! All three amazing girls live different lives and have different types of family but somehow are a part of something big: The Nowhere Girls.
Dear friends and classmates:

Are you tired? Are you scared? Are you tired of being scared?
Are you ANGRY???

It's some powerful stuff right there. The Nowhere Girls starts because the town had failed Lucy Moynihan and because of this horrible "The Real Men of Prescott" site that posted misogynistic tips on women and how to assert power over them. It begins with an email and turns into secret meetings, discussions and ideas of posters and fliers. It turns into this movement bigger than anyone had expected. And not only do we get their pov's, but we also get the Us chapters that encapsulate the different women and girls in Prescott, Oregon. Showing how there's not just one way to be a woman.

**Also the romance is SO CUTE and the friendships are EVERYTHING.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nowhere Girls.

Quotes Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior Liked

Amy Reed
“The things is,” Rosina says, “people don’t want to hear something that’ll make their lives more difficult, even if it’s the truth. People hate having to change the way they see things. So instead of admitting the world is ugly, they shit on the messenger for telling them about it.”

Amy Reed
“But Erin has empathy, lots of it, so much it hurts sometimes, so much that other people's pain turns into her own pain and makes her completely incapable of doing anything useful for anyone. That's why it's easier to avoid it than to engage. It's easier to try to ignore it than try to comfort whoever's hurting, because usually that backfires and makes things worse.”

Amy Reed
“But just because she's not helpless doesn't mean she doesn't need help.”

May 10, 2018 – Shelved
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 20, 2018 – Started Reading
June 20, 2018 – Shelved as: in-my-bookshelf
June 20, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 20, 2018 –
page 5
1.23% "I miss Sweet/Vicious and this read is most definitely the closest I probably can get to that whole vibe in book form.. I'm excited about this one!!!"
June 21, 2018 –
page 55
13.48% "lovin it, loving these girls

this feels like something big :') another favorite of 2018, maybe??"
June 21, 2018 –
page 80
19.61% ""the real men of prescott" site makes me so disgusted and mad and uGH"
June 22, 2018 –
page 237
June 22, 2018 –
page 361
88.48% "i knew it! literally i knew this would happen. as soon as someone is like "i think i can trust this person with my secret" that shit always backfires."
June 22, 2018 – Shelved as: books-like-these
August 14, 2018 – Shelved as: favorite-characters
December 6, 2018 – Shelved as: feminism
December 7, 2018 – Shelved as: latinx-rep
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: lesbian-mc

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Helena Summers Fantastic review! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did :)

Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior Helena wrote: "Fantastic review! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did :)"

Thank you!! I really really did! It's a new favorite! There's nothing better than great characters and such a great plot :')