Kenna's Reviews > Impulse

F 50x66
Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, read-over-and-over-and-over-again
Read in November, 2011

This was amazing! I absolutely loved it.
When I first checked it out at the library, I was surprised by how big of a book it was. Then I noticed how it is written in a poem type form, and because of that I didn't want to read it anymore; worried that it wouldn't make sense being written that way. I finally started reading it, and I was hooked immediately. I read it in one day, and I still can't believe how awesome this book was!
I honestly dis-liked how the ending was so abrupt (I totally flipped out with everything that happened with Conner), but looking back I really like the last few pages of the book (from Vanessa's perspective), and how it tied everything together. Absolutely beautiful<3

IMPULSE is about three different teenagers, all who tried to commit suicide, all who failed. In this book, we learn about each of the characters, and we see their friendship grow with one another.

This is a very powerful and moving novel, it shows you what the suicide-attempt-ers were thinking and going through. I recommend this book for anyone who has been in the situation of a friend attempting or thinking about suicide (best for ages 14+). I've been in the situation, and this book was very helpful. I loved every page, every word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impulse.

Quotes Kenna Liked

Ellen Hopkins
“It [death] chokes you, gags you, but you have to pretend that you're doing just fine, not trembling with this fear because the end is close.”

“Act
on your impulse,
swallow the bottle,
cut a little deeper,
put the gun to your chest.”

Ellen Hopkins
“I wonder how long it would take him to realize I'm right as sin - it's the rest of the world that's wrong. I'm not even sure how I qualify for admission to Aspen Springs. Does wanting to die equal losing your mind?”

11/21/2011 page 345
52.0% "Ohmygosh. This is amazing XD"
11/21/2011 page 345
52.0% "Ohmygosh. Absolutely incredible! Amazing! I don't want to put it down at ALL but I have homework to do >:("
11/21/2011 page 435
65.0% ":D"
11/21/2011 page 477
72.0% "*happiness*"
11/22/2011 page 666
100.0% "a m a z i n g <3"
show 2 hidden updates…