Kristen's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Jun 26, 2007

This story touched my heart in so many ways. I was addicted from the first page to the last and grew very attached to several of the characters. I think what I loved most was the way this book looked at illness realistically and how it can completely consume your life, isolate you from 'healthy people,' and change your family relationships. The mother's comment about the Dear Abby column was right on the money.

Also incredibly well done was the complex emotional conflict of sacrificing part of your life for your best friend to have life. The agonizing truth of Anna wanting to be free versus wanting what's best for her sister (along with the guilt of having those feelings in the first place) was masterfully communicated.

I had trouble relating to the son and the father, but the other females were fabulous to read, each with her own voice. The one male voice I liked was Campbell's. I found the lawyer's character to be very interesting and multilayered. All the characters had shining moments of humor and clever observations about life and growing up.

The flashbacks and "jumping around" style of the narratives was especially appealing to me...like watching a jigsaw puzzle being assembled.

The ethical and moral issues in the book lacked a faith perspective as none of the characters really addressed God. But all in all, it was very true to human emotion under extreme stress, and for me, that authenticity made the book beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Clarabelleg couldnt put the book down