Sarah's Reviews > Kiera

Kiera by Kate Willis

bookshelves: 2020-reads, future, teen-girl, best-of-the-best, kindle-unlimited, very-mild-romance, sweet

Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for thematic elements.
Best for Ages: 15 and up

I love this book so much!

Okay, I have a confession. I really like marriage-of-connivance books. However, I don’t often read them because I fell like most of them aren’t very God-honoring in their content. This book was nothing like those books. This book was sweet, clean, and god-honoring in so many ways.

The setting is the near future where the world is at war and hostility toward Christianity increased. This was done very well. I think my favorite aspect was how well the Christians handle the increased hostility.

There are few books, especially with a futuristic/dystopian bent that have such a wonderful view of daily Christianity. Persecution and suppression are shown as very real, yet the Christian’s in this book try to respect the authorities while still standing up for what is right. They try to give love and forgiveness when it is hard.

Kiera was a very sweet, lovable character. I love her mixture of young hopefulness, strong faith, and maturity. I think especially a lot of homeschooled young ladies will be able to relate to her. She is one of my favorite book characters ever.

Brennan was realistic. By that, I mean he was not one of those typical book heroes who always seems to know exactly what a girl needs. He was a great guy but *gasp* made some mistakes.
Oddly enough, this book was not really heavy on the romance. While Kiera is trying to figure out how to keep a home and what not. The main focus really felt it was about living out your faith in a difficult time.

I highly recommend this book for those who like books that have a sweet and realistic feel to them, for homeschool students and graduates, and those who enjoy futuristic stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiera.

May 10, 2018 – Shelved