Jackie's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

Jun 06, 2008

bookshelves: pleasure-reading, vamps-and-other-paranormal-pleasure, series, ya, 5-star
Read in October, 2008

Oh, I liked this book SOOOOOOOOO much better than the Stephanie Meyer series--these kids are smarter, more diverse, less whiny and far more intersting. Add to that a new version of vampirism, and it's a completely winning combination. The story telling is top notch, the characters are interesting, and the book is compelling start to finish. I can't wait to dive into the next in this series!

And I have to admit I'm intrigued by the concept of a mother/daughter writing team, especially such a successful one. That's an interesting story in an of itself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

10/27/2008 page 82
26.8% 1 comment
10/29/2008 page 169
55.23% 1 comment
03/02/2016 marked as: read

Annalyn I thought the same thing about this book. I can not wait until the 5th book comes out this year.

Waiverly I agree, in twilight, bella is way to needy and whiny and edward is overprotective. in marked all the characters seem to even out, Zoe's friends know when to jump in and when to stay out of it. I don't understand what everyone has against the trying to sound like teens, they didn't get so far off base, and some teens don't even sound like teens somtimes.

Tessa I love this series better than Twilight also.....there was way better drama and its not all about what the main character wants

message 4: by *Sklip* (last edited May 10, 2009 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

*Sklip* I totally agree with all of the above people. I think Twilight was super
over-rated and all that. I am Harry Potter all the way. Cast and her daughter really knew how to make it interesting. I mean, Twilight was okay, but it kinda just read through it without really soaking it it. I read Marked and Betrayed in two nights. FANTASTIC!!!

Jenny I am curious to how old you all are...While the story and characters are interesting, I got so tired of the same words used over and over, like whore, ho, and hag. Not terribly creative. Not the mention that the strong language and oral sex adds absolutely NOTHING to the story line (and no I am not a prude...) I want to leave a story better than when I started it and that did NOT happen with this book. No way my teenage daughter is reading this one...

message 6: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Wallace Wow, I was thinking of reading this (although the twilight insults got old at about ... oh the first one), but then I saw Jenny's review. Thank you, Jenny! No offense, Jackie but this is not going on my to-read list anytime soon!

Jessica I agree with Jenny. Were you not all all bothered with the profanity and lewdness being written for young girls. Even as an adult it bothered me!

Kierstin Amen, Jackie :D This is my favorite series. I finally convinced my Twilight-loving friend to read it. One day later, she called me and announced that Twilight sucked. Even if you don't like this book, it's better than Twilight. Bella is so ridiculously needy and Edward is a sparkly, cold, rock.

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina Man I guess the Twilight Series being so successful means that it was horrible!! I THINK NOT!!

SimBim Stephenie Meyer

Duh-nay-nay Jenny wrote: "I am curious to how old you all are...While the story and characters are interesting, I got so tired of the same words used over and over, like whore, ho, and hag. Not terribly creative. Not the ..."

The same words being used over and over are very much like teenagers. The only teenagers I know that try and use big words are the ones we make fun of because they are well lets say a little boring. (And that's putting it nicely)I am a teenager myself and i can totally relate to this book. OMG I think those of you who have nothing better to do with your time need to get a life. If you don't like a book you don't like it. But you don't have to put someones hard work under criticism. It is not easy to write any kind of story true or not. I think the Cast girls have a whole lot of imagination that the rest of the world can learn from.

Stacey Calloway I like both books, but like like this book a little better. Simple fact is that teenager are excactly like that, and before you say oh no not my teen ask yourself, honestly, do you really know. Oh, and bella swan got on my nerves sooo damn bad with her neediness. Seriously that girl was a razor and a bath tub away from padded room. If you ask me That is the type of book I would not want my daughter to read. The whole hoe, hag,and whatever else was said is typical teenage bickering, but I sure as hel dont want my daughter thinking that life is not worth living if a certain boy dont want her. I'm just saying.

Stacey Calloway Kierstin wrote: "Amen, Jackie :D This is my favorite series. I finally convinced my Twilight-loving friend to read it. One day later, she called me and announced that Twilight sucked. Even if you don't like this bo..."

Yes, i agree how can you possible love a rock.

Stacey Calloway Duh-nay-nay wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I am curious to how old you all are...While the story and characters are interesting, I got so tired of the same words used over and over, like whore, ho, and hag. Not terribly creat..."

Yes, i also agree with you too. I like both books, I just like one more. And yes it is hard work writing a whole book, hell the 3pg paper i had to right for my english class kicked my ass.

message 15: by Daiana (new)

Daiana Catioiu Duh-nay-nay, you don't have to curse all the time to be less boring. When that actually happens, it becomes repetitive you know... aka boring ;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

to dun-nay-nay completely true!!! & if most people enjoyed marked they would be over the moon if they read the richelle mead vampire academy series i rated 4/5 as the cest teenage fiction!

message 17: by J.N. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.N. @Duh-nay-nay: Authors should be used to criticism. It actually helps them. If they can't handle that some people do not care for their book for certain reasons, I feel for them but you have to be able to take criticism from your readers.

message 18: by Paula (last edited Oct 30, 2011 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Paula Duh-nay-nay wrote: "The same words being used over and over are very much like teenagers. The only teenagers I know that try and use big words are the ones we make fun of because they are well lets say a little boring. (And that's putting it nicely)I am a teenager myself and i can totally relate to this book."

I am a teenager just like you and I enjoy using big words and not repeating myself over and over again. Does that make me boring? (In your opinion: yes.)
In my opinion (and probably other people's too)- No, that just proves I have an IQ of a teenager and not of a baby.

Honey, authors are supposed to get criticism. If they don't, then they went somewhere wrong. I have never read a book that didn't have any criticism.

Please, do not ever call teenagers with bigger IQ than yours 'boring', because next thing you know and I'll be the one calling you 'boring' for having a very short vocabulary (I find other people my age very boring if they use 'OMG' and the same words over and over again because, let's say, it just shows their conversation/talking skills suck and they would be too predictable to talk to).

Meagan Ellie is right. This book is the worst I have ever read in my life, ever. Absolutely no teenager I know talks like that. I am absolutely repulsed that the Casts think this is appropriate for teenagers. This is exactly what teen girls DON'T need! *cries for y.a literature*

message 20: by Peeta (new) - rated it 1 star

Peeta pshh smarter ur kidding rite Zoey is like a slut for cheating on so many pppl throughout the series

Eponine -_-

Ambar Negron I really liked this book I dont know why people write such bad things about it.

message 23: by J.N. (last edited May 19, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

J.N. ^ Because everyone, including people who disliked the book, are entitled to their opinions? Authors should also be open to criticism, it helps them improve their writing. If people only commented on the books they liked, then we wouldn't have much balance on this site. Not everyone is going to like the same book. Some people even hate the Harry Potter books, which are very loved by most people.

Wendi Wood armstrong I wouldn't say that I like this series better than the Twilight series, but I like it as well. Each have their own qualities. This one I liked for it's humanity and reality base, even in a fantasy world. This series had things you really could imagine a teenage fledgling dealing with, not just the issues of the Change but the more real issues of being "normal" and fitting in, and then being okay with being different. I liked how those issues were addressed but not made center stage in an obvious way. I also liked the diversity of characters, and the acceptance of all of them in one group of friends who become empowered simply by being true to who they are and to each other.

Amber Allen I Agree! Lots of people who seem to hate this book seem to LOVE Twilight, and yet the issues I had with Twilight (spelling, grammar, terrible character development) are what they complain about in this series when these errors are either contextual or non-existent. Most grammar errors are done as a tool to show Zoey is a still-developing teenage girl. And the characters are actually well rounded in many ways!

I also really like the essence of Wicca throughout. I like it when my faith peeks in to mainstream anything and isn't shown as crazy goth chicks like in The Craft.

Kimberly Daley I agree with the comments made. I have been following this series for a while and was glad to hear it may come to the big screen, however I don't feel the need to compare it in any way to Twilight. As stated before, it has a sense of humanity and reality that alot of these paranormal books don't have. I really liked Twilight and have read it more than once, but it was the same for the House of night novels, but for a different reason. I think books give everyone a different feeling and it is never the same way in every book. I really enjoyed this series and I am happy to see that someone else does as well.

Therealbadkitty No offense to you but this story is anything but well written. Is the fantasy concept and take on vampire mythology a good and interesting idea? Yes! But is it executed well? NO!!!!!!!!! Zoey is the most cliched Mary Sue character i have ever seen appear in published YA book. While i agree Bella is a flat and needy character,at least she admits to be being nothing special while Zoey feels that all the world's wonders should and will be handed over to her in designer packaging.All of the characters are just crudely created stereotypes of the sassy gay friend,hot perfect love interest,blond mean girl and a million more. I must disagree respectfully on this one

Shayna Varadeaux I love this series and I think it's craziness it has so many low star ratings.... I couldn't put it down! I have read every book and side story/ novella in this series and loved every bit of it!!!!!

message 29: by Kage (new) - rated it 1 star

Kage Actually, I preferred SMeyer's Twilight to this. And I hated Twilight. I guess it could have had potential, but it is so poorly expected it's an utter piece of crap. I honestly don't understand how this could have got so many 5 star reviews and got on the best seller list.

Michelle Garner I loved this series too!

Sarah Thank goodness for your review! I love this series! I love Aphrodite!

message 32: by Kage (new) - rated it 1 star

Kage Therealbadkitty wrote: "No offense to you but this story is anything but well written. Is the fantasy concept and take on vampire mythology a good and interesting idea? Yes! But is it executed well? NO!!!!!!!!! Zoey is th..."
i like you (your opinion on this)

Zaydsmommy♡ I love these books i just read 1-11 in two weeks and i cant wait tell 12 comes out!! Every one is just hating i think they are great books!!!!!!! Zo is great and i love her!! I think there are a bunch of prudes on here !!!

message 34: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina Might some of those who liked this book/this series tell me something? How come that people who don't like this are called "prudes", when Zoey, the main character, herself comes off as such a prude, to the point that she calls any girl who even only _seems_ to be interested in sexual things a "ho" or a "slut"? She did that on various occasions to Aphrodite, she did it to this Kathy Richter(?, did i get the name right? I don't remember it really), and didn't she also make frequent side comments about such girls?

I'm really only curious how this makes sense, because I don't get it. How can "prude" count as an insult when the main character basically is one? Would someone be so nice to give me an explanation?

Caitlin Edwards Did you and I read the same book?

Atlanta Thank you for writing a positive review!

Atlanta Thank you for writing a positive review!

message 38: by Dez (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dez My comment is all late....i haven't been on this for a very very long time but i have to agree with u Jackie this book is amazing along with the rest of the books...as for the rest of u that don't like these series idk but these r better than twilight.... Twilight Sucks Ass while HON(house of night) Is The Best... I'm 16 and i luv to read books especially hon series....f@$! Twilight and Hello Marked and the rest of the series.... hon fan forever....actually i have been a fan since i read book one chapter one first word first sentence..... well like i said these series r the best!

message 39: by Vicky (new) - rated it 1 star

Vicky I dont see how you think these characters a more diverse than twilight, twilight was Alright, these were dreadful. The characters all fit into a generic / stereotype schema, dumb jock, stereotype black girl, lack of personality for her twin because they were too lazy to bother, generic gay guy; toned down later so he and his bf could fit into the stereotype of one of the guys being "the women " in the relationship, texan hick, popular bitchy girl. Like hello, not all jocks are dumb just like not all texans are hicks. And its one thing to have one character or even two fit a stereotype because thats realistic some people do fit into stereotypes, but no its basically everyone. Go read harry potter, written for a younger crowd and yet can entertain adults... This book is targeting teens, and could entertain, me as a teen finishing high school or my younger cousin starting high-school.
Its not just the characters, but the plot is half fast, over repetitive, not to get a point or importance across but just for word count, how else are you going make a max 6 book series double. It lacks forethought, planning, creativity, effort, etc.
This book will only be loved by inexperienced readers, who enjoy a drama (this is not to say young people as i have met people younger than me who have read more) that does not necessarily impress, but that is simply dramatic, having things happen for the sake of having characters run around like chickens without their heads.

Susan I am with you, I LOVED this book and all of the books in this series. I was very late to the House of Night party and I wasn't even really going to read it but my daughter left it here and I had nothing to read so I picked it up and thought, "I'll read 10 pages or so" HA HA HA, I couldn't put it down and called my daughter for the next 3 in the series. I just finished ALL 12 books and the 4 novellas. I have 7 kids so I am a busy mom and I'm sure if I could lay around and read all day I would have been done with this awesome series in less then 6 weeks. I was shocked that there were so many bad reviews for a book and characters I absolutely LOVED. I even loved the villain Neferet and how evil the Casts made her character out to be. Thank you for your positive review from a fellow House of Night lover.

message 41: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi Pelaez I agree, that series was kinda stupid and it would always be so damn complicated.

Rephaim Anffinson I love the series it's better than Twilight shit

message 43: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi Pelaez I really strongly agree with you, If they didn't like the series, why read it, matter effect, why write a nasty ass review on it... I thoughtt our parents showed us how to act... if you didn't like the book, just put it down without putting the authors down. it's not the authors's fault that you hated their book with a crude hurtful passion. I love this series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I hope they make a movie, or show.