Aimie's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: i-highly-recommend, children-and-up, action, futuristic, young-adult, recommended-to-me, rrrc-challenge-2012
Read on January 21, 2012

This is the second time I've read this book. The first time was on kindle, I made my husband buy it in paperback for me for christmas, I wanted to feel the experience of paperback in my hand, whilst reading this fabulous story. I enjoyed it more this time round. It still managed to bring me to tears and rip my heart out at times too, even though I knew what was coming. Everyone needs to read this series, especially before e movie comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes Aimie Liked

Suzanne Collins
“Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when it's morning again, they'll wash away
Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.”

Suzanne Collins
“Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it.”

Suzanne Collins
“It crosses my mind that Cinna's calm and normal demeanor masks a complete madman.”

Suzanne Collins
“I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.

I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.

Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”

Suzanne Collins
“Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying.”

Suzanne Collins
“Peeta, you said at the interview you’d had a crush on me forever. When did forever start?

Oh, let’s see. I guess the first day of school. We were five. You had on a red plaid dress and your hair...it was in two braids instead of one. My father pointed you out when we were waiting to line up."

Your father? Why?"

He said, ‘See that little girl? I wanted to marry her mother, but she ran off with a coal miner.'"

What? You’re making that up!"

No, true story. And I said, 'A coal miner? Why did she want a coal miner if she could’ve had you?' And he said, 'Because when he sings...even the birds stop to listen.”

01/21/2012 page 236
52.0% "Decided to re-read in prep for the movie. :D"
show 1 hidden update…