Becky's Reviews > Out of Left Field

Out of Left Field by Kris Hui Lee

Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 5/11/18.

A fun read!

The emphasis here--as it really should be in YA--is more on Marnie figuring herself and her place in her world (with her family and friends, on the baseball team, what direction she wants her future to go in) and less on romance--though Marnie and Cody dance around things for the entire book, they don't really get around their we-might-ruin-our-friendship-forever fears until (literally) the last minute.

And really, this is fine.

Like Marnie's mom, I have no great love for baseball, which is Marnie's first and lasting great love, but that's okay. It's easy to identify with a heroine who has found something she's passionate about in life but who still is full of doubts. I've never even considered being the only girl on a boy's team, but who can't remember a time in their lives when they felt like the outsider? Even though I do enjoy wearing dresses (but not shopping for them, because that's just cruel and unusual punishment) I came out of this book somehow feeling like Marnie and I had way more in common than not.

Ms. Lee has apparently spent years writing stories about Marnie and her friends (as per her acknowledgments) and it really shows--it's obvious that Marnie and company have a long, complicated history that the author knows both it and her characters well. Little throwaway comments like, "For reasons that would take too long to explain, his voicemail message is Joey and Sara mooing for about thirty seconds" add both humor and realism to the story.

Out of Left Field is a fun debut from an author I'll definitely be looking for more from!

Rating: 4 stars / A-

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Left Field.

May 10, 2018 – Started Reading