Julie Ehlers's Reviews > Less

Less by Andrew Sean Greer

2120450

bookshelves: literary-fiction

Less is the novel I always want to be reading: funny, smart, bookish and a bit erudite but still accessible, skillful, poignant, moving, and (did I mention?) funny. Oh yes, and entertaining AF, with vivid characters and a fascinating changing landscape, both literally (Arthur Less travels a lot) and emotionally. I've been in a bit of a reading slump these past few days, and this book is why. All I want is another book like Less.

I recognize that for some people and groups, the character of Arthur Less may be a bit been-there, seen-that, so I will point you to my GR friend Conor's review for a counterargument. FWIW, though, as a single woman in her 40s I related to Arthur Less so much more than all the novels about sad-sack, borderline alcoholic single women, and certainly more than all the novels about miserable married people that we're all supposed to be constantly working up interest in. That's probably one reason I loved this so much: Flaws and all, Less is my kind of person, and I so rarely find my kind of person in a novel. So, yay Arthur Less! And yay Andrew Sean Greer! Congrats on the Pulitzer! Say, Andrew Sean Greer, all your other novels look like historical fiction, which I don't particularly want to read, although I might. But it would be really great if you would write another contemporary novel, because you're really firing on all cylinders now. Give us what we want: more of this, please!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Less.

May 10, 2018 – Shelved
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 8, 2018 – Started Reading
September 9, 2018 –
page 40
15.21% "I LOVE this."
September 10, 2018 –
page 150
57.03% "Love this character."
September 11, 2018 –
page 251
95.44% "Only ten pages left but now, alas, I have to work. I'm anxious to finish it on my lunch break, but I'll be sad when it's over..."
September 11, 2018 – Shelved as: literary-fiction
September 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Love!

Julie Ehlers Kelli wrote: "Love!"

message 3: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Poot Loved it 2.

message 4: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Awesome review! Such a great book, I loved Arthur Less.

Julie Ehlers Dianne wrote: "Awesome review! Such a great book, I loved Arthur Less."

Thanks, Dianne! I know--I want a sequel! :)

message 6: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Sounds really good. Great review 💖

Julie Ehlers Felicia wrote: "Sounds really good. Great review 💖"

It is! Thanks, Felicia. :)

message 8: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Fabulous review, Julie! Love the enthusiasm for this one :)

Julie Ehlers Candi wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! Love the enthusiasm for this one :)"

Thanks, Candi! Hope you get a chance to read this one!

Gregory Senftleben Well written review. You could obviously relate to the character. I couldn't, at all, and gave it a 1 star. I relate well to borderline alcoholic single women. Lol

message 11: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Isn't it great to find a book that really makes you happy? On the basis of your enthusiasm, I'm moving this from "maybe" to "to-read"

Julie Ehlers Suzanne wrote: "Isn't it great to find a book that really makes you happy? On the basis of your enthusiasm, I'm moving this from "maybe" to "to-read""

So great! It really makes life better. :) Hope you like this... it's hard for me to imagine why someone wouldn't!

Michael Great review! This makes me want to like the book more than what I did. The prose was brilliant, but I found myself unable to connect or sympathize with Less's struggles (to the extent that he had them).

Julie Ehlers Michael wrote: "Great review! This makes me want to like the book more than what I did. The prose was brilliant, but I found myself unable to connect or sympathize with Less's struggles (to the extent that he had ..."

Thanks! I think I definitely read this book at the right time--it just clicked with me.

Laura I had the same reading slump after! I read another of his books, The Confessions of Max Tivoli. It was quite different, very good, but not quite the trippy flighty fun of "Less"! Greer really knows how to tell a tale and make odd, characters unexpectedly likeable.

Julie Ehlers Laura wrote: "I had the same reading slump after! I read another of his books, The Confessions of Max Tivoli. It was quite different, very good, but not quite the trippy flighty fun of "Less"! Greer really knows..."

Yes, his other books seem like they might not hit the highs of Less! I plan to read them, but mostly I'm hoping for a new novel soon...