Kim's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: fantasy, high-fantasy, read-in-2018

It's official, I'm not a Sanderson virgin anymore!

It's been years since I read a really big book. I think It by Stephen King was by far the biggest one I ever read when I was in my early 20's and that was also probably the last one. I don't often pick them up because they intimidate the hell out of me. Another thing: I like fantasy, but sometimes I feel like I am too dumb to always understand what's going on (and English is not my first language) so I'm always itching to read fantasy but often I choose something light and easy instead. So I decided I should change that and I chose the biggest fantasy labeled book in my collection. Seriously, you could kill somebody with it, that's how heavy it is.

I can't believe it took me 5 months to read this. I have the attention span of a kitten, so I am a bit surprised I kept picking this up again and again at first. But the story is just that good and because of the slow pace I could remember what was going on, even if they mentioned something I read weeks ago.

When I'm reading a book I usually like it when things are fast paced and stuff is happening all the time. This book is nothing like that. This book takes it's time. You feel like you are travelling the same long road certain characters are on and nothing about their journey is easy. They all struggle, they all have an interesting story and they all feel genuine and real. I ran through a lot of emotions with this one (especially with the major revelations) and it was glorious.

Some of the charachters were less interesting than others (but probably an important piece of the huge puzzle so fingers crossed I'll start care for them more as they evolve), but Kaladin and Szeth (who I hope to see more of in the next book) were by far my favorites.

I love-love-love this book and I hope you do too if you decide to read it. Seriously, read it. Be like me, face your fears!

——————

YES BITCHES, I'M FINALLY DOING THIS!

(fingers crossed though)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

May 10, 2018 – Shelved
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: high-fantasy
July 10, 2018 – Started Reading
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
July 10, 2018 –
page 120
9.54% "I barely put a dent in this thing but I'm enjoying myself so much with it so far."
July 12, 2018 –
July 29, 2018 –
page 440
September 11, 2018 –
page 500
39.75% "It's going slow. But it's going :-)"
September 23, 2018 –
page 584
September 24, 2018 –
page 660
October 2, 2018 –
page 705
56.04% "Finally starting to see the part I still have to read getting thinner :-) (And still so good)"
October 9, 2018 –
October 17, 2018 –
page 1134
88.59% "So close!"
October 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)

preoccupiedbybooks Ah I still haven’t read this! I loved the Mistborn series so should do it....good luck!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy OMG So good you'll love it.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks ladies! This is my first Sanderson book. I was going to start with Elantris but then suddenly switched to this. It will be a suicide mission but hopefully this will make me get over my fear of big books.

I'm loving it so far!

message 4: by Maigan (new) - added it

Maigan This book has been sitting on my shelf for so long now, the sheer size of it is intimidating me from starting it 😅

Alexandra Elend Wolf It's really long, yes, but completely worth it. And I didn't even felt the pages pass.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I’m having loads of fun with it and yes, it’s a really big one that still scares the crap out of me 😊

J, I’m only 10% in and even with not that much progression in the story so far Sanderson manages to keep me interested and happy. If the rest of the book is the same way then I should be fine.

J.J. You're going to love this series. It's long read but very worth it. Brandon Sanderson is King of Fantasy. You'll soon find out why.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim <3

message 9: by Lola (new)

Lola Ohhh good luck!!!

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks :-)

message 11: by MischaS_ (new) - added it

MischaS_ Everyone is reading Sanderson. I have a writing friend who's on me for not reading him yet... Guess I should really start. D

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm going slow with this book but I like it so far! Sanderson has a way with words.

It will take me another few weeks to finish reading this but I have time :-)

melissafandomworld ohhh how is this book so far? Keep hearing great things about it!

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim melissasbookworld wrote: "ohhh how is this book so far? Keep hearing great things about it!"

Really good! It will be a while before I get to the end, but I'll get there eventually.

message 15: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Grey You're finally starting Sanderson with this ??

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Rusty wrote: "You're finally starting Sanderson with this ??"

YES YES YES! :-)

message 17: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Grey Hope you enjoy this ! :D

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Rusty wrote: "Hope you enjoy this ! :D"

So far I really am, thank you :-)

message 19: by J.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.J. After this book or if you decide to finish this series, try Mistborn trilogy next. They're not as huge of a book as the Stormlight Archive series but still a very great read. Mistborn Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. Or when ever you have the chance mark it on your TBR.

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks JJ, I’ve had Mistborn on my tbr for a few years now. I keep hearing so many great things about those books but I don’t know why I haven’t read them yet. 😊

message 21: by Tani ~Hiatus~ (new)

Tani ~Hiatus~ Woo hoo! Hope you enjoy reading it (even though your rant review is always welcome 😉).

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks Tani, I am having lots of fun with it so no rants 😂

message 23: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie Enjoy babe!

message 24: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks Dana 😘

message 25: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Grey You loved this !!! Great . This gives me encouragement to continue with Sanderson . 😀

preoccupiedbybooks Yay massive high five! ✋

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Rusty: I really really liked it, even if it took me more than 5 months to read it :-D

Fran thanks! :-)

message 28: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie I like your review so much! I'm glad you like the book, and was a long enjoyable journey for you! xo xo xo

message 29: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Dana wrote: "I like your review so much! I'm glad you like the book, and was a long enjoyable journey for you! xo xo xo"

Dana you are my Goodreads idol when it comes to fantasy and your comment means so much, thank you! <3 x

message 30: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie Kim wrote: "Dana wrote: "I like your review so much! I'm glad you like the book, and was a long enjoyable journey for you! xo xo xo"

Dana you are my Goodreads idol when it comes to fantasy and your comment me..."

Holly Fu*king hell, are you for real??? I'm your fan since we find each other here.
I'm so honored, you make my day, no my week!!!

message 31: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Mercer Thanks Kim for this review. I just finished my first Sanderson book The Final Empire and it was amazing! I did the audiobook in between the print version (I drive a lot) and the print book is much better.

message 32: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Dana haha that's so cool thanks :-D Yeah well, it is true, every time I see a fantasy book that I might be interested in I check your reviews to see if you liked it or not :-)

Thanks Tim, that one is still on my list because everybody seems to love that too! I'm going to give Warbreaker a shot soon too! I've never tried audiobooks but I can really see how that would come in handy whenever I have time to read but can't (like in my car, I have a 40 min drive to work every morning).

message 33: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie Kim wrote: "Dana haha that's so cool thanks :-D Yeah well, it is true, every time I see a fantasy book that I might be interested in I check your reviews to see if you liked it or not :-)

Thanks Tim, that on..."

When you have the disposition you have to give a shot to Warbreaker, is short (for Sanderson standards) but so good.
Now I have to make my reviews a little bit longer, with you in mind..... Because most of them are some short exclamation of amazement....

message 34: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Dana wrote: "Kim wrote: "Dana haha that's so cool thanks :-D Yeah well, it is true, every time I see a fantasy book that I might be interested in I check your reviews to see if you liked it or not :-)

Thanks ..."

I keep hearing so many great things about Warbreaker and I will read it soon but probably early next year. The next few months will be quite busy and once I start a book I want to finish it for the current reading challenge.

Aw, just write whatever you like, long or short, a really good book doesn't need a long review :-)

Aaron The slow pace did allow for you to get involved with the characters. I just wish that the throughout the book there was action to break it up some. But I agree with you I’m excited to see how some of the minor characters evolve throughout the series!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay!!! Glad you enjoyed it Kim😉

message 37: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Aaron I agree, it made it easier to follow what was happening and for me easier to remember. I didn't mind that there wasn't that much action going on for most part of the book. It didn't make it less enjoyable for me.

I'm going to read the next book soon but right now I need something light and easy :-)

Craig it was the best!

ijeoma Agbaje Glad you kicked intimidation in the butt and read this book.

message 39: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Compton I am so glad you enjoyed this book - it is by far my most favorite book ever! I have not read the next 2 yet (I am in a 2 year Buddy Read for Wheel of Time), and at my age, I am concerned that Sanderson will not finish all 10 books in my lifetime. I forget the exact name of the leader of Bridge Four (Kaladin, I think), but the development of his character was awesome.

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Ijeoma thank you, I’m glad I did too!

John I don’t know how old you are but I was saying the same thing a while ago to a friend: at this rate I’ll be retired by the time I get to book 10 😕 And yes! Kaladin was my favorite, can’t wait to find out more about what happens next.

message 41: by Long (new) - rated it 5 stars

Long If your name is not a giveaway of your language then "the mayor revelations" is :) I am a rookie in learning Espanol and I sometimes make mistakes with major & mayor too!

message 42: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Long wrote: "If your name is not a giveaway of your language then "the mayor revelations" is :) I am a rookie in learning Espanol and I sometimes make mistakes with major & mayor too!"

Thanks, I didn't notice the mistake until you pointed it out. There are probably a lot of mistakes in most of my reviews, since it's my second language.

message 43: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Guerra Woho! 🙌🏼 I’m happy you enjoyed it! I will try to conquer my fear (mine is the same, sometimes to read in English ain’t easy) and give this book a try. Great review!

message 44: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Ana wrote: "Woho! 🙌🏼 I’m happy you enjoyed it! I will try to conquer my fear (mine is the same, sometimes to read in English ain’t easy) and give this book a try. Great review!"

Thanks Ana, and the book is really great and so worth the effort :-) I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. I will read the next one soon but I have a lot of big books lined up so fingers crossed I'll get through all of them by the end of 2019.

message 45: by Long (new) - rated it 5 stars

Long Kim wrote: Thanks, I d..." De nada!