Sue "DavinciKittie" Brown-Moore's Reviews > Crossing Promises

Crossing Promises by Kimberly Kincaid

bookshelves: cozy, contemporary-romance, infatuatedpodcast

Owen was the brother I identified least with during the first two Cross Creek stories, but I should have known that hard exterior was just a cover for sexy traits like "compassionate", "observant", and "driven to succeed"—the hard-working qualities that define a man who literally lives for his livelihood. Of course he'd be a ball of loneliness and vulnerability down under that hard-shell heart.

And Cate's story is both heartbreaking and anger-inducing. Widowed by an accident that took her high school sweetheart and nine-year-old daughter, she was thrown into unexpectedly deep debt and has some serious commitment issues, making even holding a full time job stressful. She craves freedom of mind and spirit, and she needs it like some people need wine or yoga or video games to unwind.

I respect the hell out of both Cate and Owen's forthright natures, because that's my method too—straightforward and right to the point. But Owen's a country boy, raised with manners and a steel set of ethics around work, women, and romance. He might suffer from foot-in-mouth syndrome, but he's a gentleman where it counts, and his determination to help Cate slow down and enjoy life is so very sweet and endearing.

I loved this quote from the story:
“Tasting it is an experience ,” he said, holding the strawberry over her lips. “You focus on the flavors. The feel of the food on your tongue, the vitality of it. When you taste something— really taste it—you’re surrendering to the flavors. You’re letting yourself enjoy it. That’s the difference.”

I also totally fell for his earthy, all-in approach to food. He's talking about food in that scene above (specifically, a strawberry—super sexy moment with Cate there!), but the same is true for wine tasting, and that's one of my favorite hobbies.

Check out this smexy quote:
He shifted back to put some space between them— not much, just enough for her to see the seriousness in his stare— and she hooked her legs around his hips to haul him right back in.
“I’m very, very sure,” Cate murmured against his lips, “that if you don’t keep undressing me, I’m going to lose my mind.”
“Ah.” He kissed her deeply, just once before his fingers found the lacy edges of her bra. “That’s where you’re wrong. Because I’m going to keep undressing you.” He slid her shirt from her shoulders as proof. “And then you’re going to lose your mind.”

Have I mentioned combustible? It takes a while for these two to let go enough to admit wanting one another, but once they do...whew. But really, just... Owen. This man is so sweet and romantic, and I totally thought he'd be my least favorite after Eli's story. But I'm pretty sure he turned out to be my favorite. And Cate, she's so strong.

This book is beautifully written, with complex characters and believable conflicts. Real, honest problems and decisions that change and define lives. One of the things I love about Kimberly Kincaid's writing is how she doesn't take the easy way out of a problem, and she builds layers upon layers of personality, commitments, fears, friendships—all those core things that define a person—into her characters like it's as natural as breathing. I love that she forces these characters out of their comfort zones and into their hearts. It's just freaking perfect. And almost never what you expect.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Promises.