Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister's Reviews > Sadie

Sadie by Courtney Summers

bookshelves: abuse, powerful, young-adult, thriller

*5 solid stars!*

"I’m dangerous. You shouldn't underestimate people, I want to call out. I have a knife."

SADIE has lost herself and she doesn't want to be found. Not by the few remaining people in her life, not even by life itself. She lets the reader know right away that she is being fueled only by revenge, and there is no question that Sadie is surviving for the sole purpose of killing the man she believes murdered her little sister.

"I’m going to kill a man. I’m going to steal the light from his eyes. I want to watch it go out."

This was a heinous crime whose victim has obtained no justice; a case gone cold, until Sadie herself goes missing and the host of a serialized podcast is persuaded to revive it.

The podcast portions are handled extremely well and are delivered in chapters that alternate with the saturated darkness of Sadie’s first-person narrative. We get right in her head, and it is wholly intense at the very least.

I would say that Sadie’s falling apart, but that would imply she’d once had it all together, and she has never. Not with an absentee father, and an addict of a mother. Not when she’d been forced to raise her younger sister as though she wasn't also just a child herself.

Sadie has stripped away the outer layers of herself until all that remains is this primal, animalistic being whose desire to kill this man has become the only thing in life that matters. I could sense her wasting away, eating only because she has to and because not eating would steal the strength she needs to carry out her plan.

You will feel Sadie’s desperation as it all but suffocates her. You will witness her becoming a machine—one who feels only pain, if she feels anything at all. Her eyes are focused, and she’s seeing red as she paves her own way through the road splayed out in front of her—god help anyone who tries to stand in her way.

Courtney Summer’s writing continually impresses me, and frankly just keeps getting better. I’ve come to love the sharpened edges of her young adult stories, but this one in particular seems to break through the confines of YA altogether, targeting a much wider audience than teens.

This plot is driven; a reckless drive, and it’s Sadie behind the wheel, the reader sitting shotgun alongside her. It’s brave and it’s raw and it feels so close to real that you may just have to remind yourself to come up for air at times.

Sadie’s character, with all of her pain, is sharp and witty, and even funny at times. She speaks with a stutter, which only endeared me to her even more, and she’s easy to love even though she’s not intentionally casting out lovable vibes.

Every element in the story came to life—all of it—and it wasn't pretty to look at, but it was powerful and it was important. A mother’s addiction. A sister’s reliance. A child abused. A daughter, so in need of her mother’s love that the lack of it has hollowed out her insides, leaving a hole that can only be filled with pain and uncertainty.

"Sometimes I don’t know what I miss more; everything I’ve lost or everything I never had."

This book is more than a story—it is a voice, and it begs to be heard.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Book Stats:
▪  Genre/Category: Contemporary/Young Adult/Mystery
▪  Characters: Sadie's character is sole focus of story. She's painfully broken and highly driven in her pursuit.
▪  Plot: Sadie sets out to kill the man she believes murdered her sister.
▪ Writing: Edgy, witty, brilliant! This author is a favorite of mine!
▪ POV: 1st Person Perspective: Alternates between Sadie's POV and Podcast transcripts
▪  Cliffhanger: None. Standalone

*Thanks to St. Martin’s Press for providing an advanced digital copy via Netgalley!*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sadie.

May 9, 2018 – Shelved
July 17, 2018 – Shelved as: powerful
July 17, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 17, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller
July 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)

Kendall I have this one too KC! I heard it's such an amazing read! Can't wait for your thoughts :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister I’ve loved this author’s previous books, Kendall! I haven’t actually started it yet tho, since I’m working on some other reads in our group. Let me know when you start this one so we can chat ☺️

message 3: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Sounds int. I may give this a shot :)

message 4: by sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

sue Put this on my wish list

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Natalie wrote: "Sounds int. I may give this a shot :)"

sue wrote: "Put this on my wish list"

Hope you both enjoy if you decide to read it...Im hoping to get back to it soon :-)

Kendall KC- I just finished this omg I LOVED it! I hope you're enjoying!!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kendall wrote: "KC- I just finished this omg I LOVED it! I hope you're enjoying!!"

Yay, so glad you loved! I actually put this on hold so I could join one of the group reads (Perfect Mother, I think?) but it seems like I have to get back to it soon! :-) I hadn’t read much but I was enjoying

Mackey I'm reading this as well. Hope you enjoy it.

Christina - Traveling Sister Love your review Kristin! I'll have to look into this one :)

message 10: by KAS (new)

KAS Excellent review, Kristin ;) Sure does sound like a very powerful read! xoxo

Debra Fantastic Review!!! I look forward to reading this!!

Meredith Wonderful review, Kristin! I am so excited to read this!

message 13: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Awesome review, Kristin. Hope to get to this soon.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Mackey wrote: "I'm reading this as well. Hope you enjoy it."

****I very much did, Mack! ☺️

Christina - Traveling Sister wrote: "Love your review Kristin! I'll have to look into this one :)"

****Thanks, Christina! I hope you’ll enjoy :-)

KAS wrote: "Excellent review, Kristin ;) Sure does sound like a very powerful read! xoxo"

****Thanks, Kas! A very powerful read :)

Debra wrote: "Fantastic Review!!! I look forward to reading this!!"

****Thank you, Debra! Can’t wait to see what you think :-)

Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Kristin! I am so excited to read this!"

****Thanks, Meredith! Looking forward to your thoughts 😊

Diane S ☔ wrote: "Awesome review, Kristin. Hope to get to this soon."

****Thanks, Diane! I hope you enjoy ☺️

Kendall Wasn’t this so beautiful!!!! Ugh!! I loved it! Glad you did too!! 😊

message 16: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Terrific review, Kristen !! Sounds like a must read for me !!

message 17: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review Kris! So happy you loved it! 😍

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wow Kris! Fantastic review!! I can’t wait to read this after reading your amazing review!!!! 😘

message 19: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Excellent review, Kristin! I just had to add this one to my wishlist! :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Fabulous review, Kris! I am so happy that you loved this one just makes me more eager to read it! xo

message 21: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Excellent review Kristin!😊

message 22: by Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister (last edited Jul 17, 2018 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kendall wrote: "Wasn’t this so beautiful!!!! Ugh!! I loved it! Glad you did too!! 😊"

****YES, Kendie, I loved! You were right, sista! 😘

Megan wrote: "Terrific review, Kristen !! Sounds like a must read for me !!"

****A must-read for sure, Megan! Hope you enjoy ☺️

Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Awesome review Kris! So happy you loved it! 😍"

****Thank so much, Suzy! ❤️☺️

Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wow Kris! Fantastic review!! I can’t wait to read this after reading your amazing review!!!! 😘"

****Awe, Thanks so much, Linds! I’ll be looking forward to your thoughts 🤗

Jaline wrote: "Excellent review, Kristin! I just had to add this one to my wishlist! :)"

****Yay, Janine! It a great one with fantastic writing 😊

Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review, Kris! I am so happy that you loved this one just makes me more eager to read it! xo"

****Thanks so much, my sweet Norma! I think you’ll appreciate this one for its phenomenal writing ☺️

Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review Kristin!😊"

****Thank you kindly, Kaceey! :-)

Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City I loved this book so much! Great review! — mo

message 24: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith And a solid review for your solid five stars Kristin! 😎

message 25: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Oh this sounds good! Will have to add. Excellent review!

Holly  B I'm excited to read this one! Fab review Kris!

Michelle I am dying to get my hands on a copy of this! Your review for this is amazing, Kristin! It makes me want to read it even more and I didn't think that was possible.

message 28: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Great review, Kristin. Don’t think I could read this one - I’m a whimp! Glad you enjoyed it .

Chris Kristin, that is one awesome review! I will have to check this one out.

message 30: by Melisa (new) - added it

Melisa Ah sounds so good, excellent review per usual, Kris💙

message 31: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte May Wonderful review Kristin! I really want to read this :)

Mackey So glad you liked this one Kris, it's next on my list!

message 33: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Great review, hun!! I am looking forward to reading this one.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Monica wrote: "I loved this book so much! Great review! — mo"

****So glad you loved, Monica! It was such a fantastic read :-)

Miriam wrote: "And a solid review for your solid five stars Kristin! 😎"

****Thank you, Miriam! :D

Debbie wrote: "Oh this sounds good! Will have to add. Excellent review!"

****Thanks, Debbie! It was a fantastic read :D

Holly wrote: "I'm excited to read this one! Fab review Kris!"

****Thanks, Hol! I hope you'll enjoy and I look forward to your thoughts :-)

Michelle wrote: "I am dying to get my hands on a copy of this! Your review for this is amazing, Kristin! It makes me want to read it even more and I didn't think that was possible."

****Oh, thanks so much, Michelle! I hope you love it when you get to it! Do you use Netgalley?

Angela M wrote: "Great review, Kristin. Don’t think I could read this one - I’m a whimp! Glad you enjoyed it ."

****Thanks, Angela! Believe it or not, it's not graphic at all ... more upsetting than anything do to the heroine's state of mind

Chris wrote: "Kristin, that is one awesome review! I will have to check this one out."

****Thanks so much, Chris! You should definitely look into this one :D

Melisa - Traveling Sister wrote: "Ah sounds so good, excellent review per usual, Kris💙"

****Thanks, Melis! This is one of my i'll-read-anything-she-writes authors ;-)

Charlotte wrote: "Wonderful review Kristin! I really want to read this :)"

****Thanks, Charlotte! I hope you'll enjoy :-)

Mackey wrote: "So glad you liked this one Kris, it's next on my list!"

****Enjoy it, Mack! It's a good one :-)

Courtney wrote: "Great review, hun!! I am looking forward to reading this one."

****Thanks, Courtney! I hope you'll enjoy it :-)

message 35: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Nice review, Kristin! Glad you loved it! I am waiting for an NG approval on this one-- fingers crossed!

message 36: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Amazing review Kris 💗

message 37: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fabulous review Kristin 😊

message 38: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Excellent review, Kristin. Have never read this author. Yet!!

message 39: by James (new)

James Thane Great review, Kristin.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Erin wrote: "Nice review, Kristin! Glad you loved it! I am waiting for an NG approval on this one-- fingers crossed!"

****Thanks, Erin! Fingers and toes crossed for you 🤞🏻☺️

Natalie wrote: "Amazing review Kris 💗"

****Thanks, Nat! 😘

Maddie wrote: "Beautifully written review Kristen 💕"

****Awe, Thanks, Maddie! :-)

Maureen wrote: "Fabulous review Kristin 😊"

****Thanks so much, Maureen!

Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review, Kristin. Have never read this author. Yet!!"

****Her writing is so impressive, Antoinette! My favorite from her is a YA called All The Rage 😍

James wrote: "Great review, Kristin."

****Why, thank you, James! :-)

Rachel Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I really want to check out Courtney Summers' other books, are there any in particular you'd recommend?

♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ Great review, Kristin xx

message 43: by Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister (last edited Jul 18, 2018 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Rachel wrote: "Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I really want to check out Courtney Summers' other books, are there any in particular you'd recommend?"

****I loved it, Rach! I’ve read Some Girls Are and All the Rage by CS, and though I’d recommend both, All the Rage was an absolute FAVORITE. More young adult vibe than Sadie, and set in high school, but simply brilliant!

♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ wrote: "Great review, Kristin xx"

****Thank you, Jx! ☺️

Rachel All The Rage it is!!! I'll definitely check that one out next, thank you!

Carolyn Excellent review Kristin! I'm so looking forward to reading this :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Amazing review, Kris! You have me so excited about this book now! I had missed your book stat section. Great to see it again! 💗

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Rachel wrote: "All The Rage it is!!! I'll definitely check that one out next, thank you!"

***Woot, enjoy! I'll look forward to your thoughts!

Carolyn wrote: "Excellent review Kristin! I'm so looking forward to reading this :)"

***Thanks, Carol! Hope you'll enjoy :D

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "Amazing review, Kris! You have me so excited about this book now! I had missed your book stat section. Great to see it again! 💗"

***Thank you, Jen! lol, I got lazy with the book stats, but they're helpful even for me when I look back at a book ... so I'm going to try to keep on top of it ;-)

message 48: by Sheyla ✎ (new)

Sheyla ✎ Love your review!

message 49: by JanB (new) - added it

JanB Yikes, this sounds intense for YA - glad you enjoyed!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books You write such wonderful review, Kristin!!! It always makes me want to get the book too :)

« previous 1