Matthew Pritt's Reviews > Marrow

Marrow by Preston Norton

liked it

If you like superhero stories, you'll probably like Marrow. The main character, Marrow, has the power of changing his bone density, which might seem like kind of a lame power, but he is actually able to do some pretty cool things with it - provided you can suspend your disbelief enough (more on that in a second). At the end of his schooling, he's placed with a superhero named Flex, a Stretch-Armstrong powered deadbeat. Together they end up having to save the world. I won't give away much more plot, since there's a twist about every chapter, and to say more would be to spoil more.

My main complaint with the book would be that Marrow can do some very unrealistic things with his power. Like, when he minimizes his bone density, suddenly he's so light he can practically fly? But bone tissue only makes up about 15% of body mass, so a 200 lb. person who completely minimized their bone density would lose about 30 pounds, and... yes, I'm overthinking it badly, but I do like when there's either a logical explanation for breaking the rules of science, or at least a cursory effort to adhere to those rules.

Marrow is a very plot-driven book, and while some of the twists were interesting and unexpected, it came at the expense of developing side characters. Sapphire, the main love interest in the book, is hardly explained as a character other than she's hot and she cries a lot. I would have preferred to sacrifice some of the twists for some character moments.

One of the things Norton does best is combining Marrow's power with other superheroes' powers (like the slingshot). Marrow's power by itself is a little bit boring, but he works best when he's fighting with a teammate by his side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marrow.

May 9, 2018 – Started Reading