Kim's Reviews > Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes

Captain Wentworth's Persuasion by Regina Jeffers

Nov 22, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: austen-related, persuasion
Read from February 21 to March 12, 2012

Another variation of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. It starts out with Capt. Wentworth and Anne together (as we know they are) on a naval ship and begins the re-telling in the form of flashbacks. The author employs the common tactic of switching from past story to present every other chapter or so, until Persuasion comes to its natural conclusion. The author continues the story with the honor and recognition Wentworth receives for his distinguished naval career.

It's really a case of two books in one. I would have enjoyed it more if the author had simply made it a continuation of Persuasion and more fully developed what happened to the Wentworths at sea and when they established a home on land. Though some of the latter plot line could be seen a mile away, it was still entertaining. Strangely the author does seem to take delight in giving Anne a bit too much of the Elliot pride (Persuasion readers will know what I mean). Austen’s Anne has a quiet dignity that this author all but removes near the end; and for me, that sort of ruins the book. It's also a bit too sappy, with all the terms of endearment (sweetling?!?) and going on and on about their love. It made Anne seem insecure and Wentworth somehow less romantic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Wentworth's Persuasion.