Melanie's Reviews > Strange Grace

Strange Grace by Tessa Gratton

bookshelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy, buddy-reads, lgbtqiap, romance, read-in-2018, witches, demons, dark, favorites

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“I fell in love with the forest. And the forest loved me back. And so we traded hearts. Mine is here, larger and stronger than it could have been in the small cavern of my body”

I’ve read over one-hundred books so far in 2018, and Strange Grace is easily my absolute favorite. And I anticipate that it will be my favorite book of 2018 come December 31st, too. What a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Literally perfection. A true gift to the literary world. Friends, if you’re looking for a spooky book, with a dark fairy-tale vibe, that heavily talks about society's gender expectations, while being a love letter to gender fluidity, with the most heartwarming polyamorous relationship, look no further than this masterpiece.

“The old god and the youngest Grace witch. The story says they loved each other, but can the story be trusted at all?”

In Three Graces, no harm comes to anyone. Babies are born safe, and parents deliver in less pain. Crops are perfect and produce an abundance. Animals never get sick. People heal from cuts overnight and broken bones in a few days. This village is magical, and the community is able to thrive without fear, except for one thing. That one thing? Oh, the devil in the forest that surrounds the village.

Long ago, there were three witches. And the youngest one fell in love with the devil in the village and chose to give him her heart. And together, they made a deal. Every seventh year, when the slaughter moon comes, and the red from the Bone Tree releases, the best boy from the village will run into the forest, willing to sacrifice his life to protect his village for another seven years.

Except this year, the forest is requesting another boy, even though the village should be safe for another three years. The village has to come together and decide what to do. Should they sacrifice their newest best boy, in hopes that the devil that dwells in the forest will accept the offering?

“He was bold and powerful, beautiful and dangerous, but he loved the first Grace witch, and it was from that love the bargain blossomed. This valley is made on love, little bird. Find love. Seek it, always. That is where our power resides.”

We get to follow three characters, who all are tied to the sacrifices by just being born. We get to watch them deal with the safety of their village being removed, and we get to see how each reacts. And they are willing to rise up, they are ready to fight, but they are also so very willing to sacrifice.

Mairwen - White, half witch (from her mother), half saint (from her father that was sacrificed while her mother was pregnant), but wholly called to the forest. The youngest witch, and maybe the most powerful. And shares her heart with two people, and one best friend, that make up her entire universe.

“She is a piece of the wild forest: tangled vines of hair; beautiful dress torn and heavy at the hem with mud and water; insistent, dangerous eyes; lips parted; cheeks flushed. An ax loose in one hand like she’s the vengeful spirit in a terrible story.”

Arthur - White, was raised as a girl, because his mother couldn’t bear the thought of him being sacrificed, but the secret came out. And Arthur has felt trapped between the two worlds ever since, while wishing people could understand that there is more than just two genders. Yet, Arthur feels the need to prove themself as the best boy in the village, not just for the rest of the men to see, but to save the true best boy.

“Nobody can change who he is except for himself, not any saint ritual, not an ignorant, terrified town, not a night spent in the forest, not a dress or a kiss”

Rhun - Black, and the boy that completes this beautiful triad. Good, pure, kind, caring, and truly, above all else, the best boy in the village. But his goodness made it so that he was always literally raised for the slaughter.

“If love can protect anybody, it will protect Rhun Sayer.”

And these three have completely captured my soul and I’ve never shipped or loved a fictional relationship more. This story is a masterpiece, the discussions are life changing, and the writing feels like it comes from some sort of higher-power and/or magical deity. I promise you all, this story is now embedded in my very DNA. If you could only pick up one book that I recommend in 2018, please have it be Strange Grace.

Gender roles and the constructs that every society places on them is a constant theme in this book. Arthur’s character is so wonderful, and even though it was painful at times, was such a breath of fresh air to read about. We get to see Arthur feel ostracized from “girl things” but also never being able to fit in with the “boy things”, and we get to see Arthur realize how toxic that way of thinking truly is.

“What hurt him was the rule change. Being forced out of girlhood into boyhood, as if it were only an either/ or, as if to make any other choice was unnatural.”

And in general, the sexual representation is amazing. Like, everyone in this book is queer. Mairwen states attraction to different/no genders, obviously Rhun and Arthur are attracted to different/no genders, Arthur is (in my opinion) non-binary, Mairwen’s mom has a woman partner; this book has a whole lot of gay. And you all know how much the polyamorous rep meant to me, and how much I was living for it, while turning every page of this book. And I’m just going to pretend like they are all pansexual and go to sleep with a smile on my face each night. Thanks.

“It’s fear. Not of the devil, but fear of change. Fear of doing anything different that might cause a ripple and bring it all down. Fear of a little boy in a dress, because he didn’t fit into the structure of town, the rules. There was never anything wrong with Arthur.”

And this entire book is a love letter to found families everywhere. Mairwen, Rhun, and Arthur have created something so beautiful and their friendship is honestly goals. Unconditional love is always at the forefront of their relationship and of this story. And this entire book feels like a bright light that celebrates that the family you create and choose will always be superior than the once you are born into without any saying. Also, I haven’t talked about her yet, but Haf, Mairwen’s other best friend, is the sweetest soul in the book. I loved her. I’m happy the town believe in their misogynistic hearts that they had to sacrifice only their best boys, instead of their best human, because Haf is truly the best character in Three Graces. Like, I would totally sacrifice myself for her, Mairween, Rhun, and Arthur. Like, I’m walking into the forest now, because I love them all so much. Bye.

“I love you,” [...] “Both of you, and all of you. Hold on to my heart and I’ll be fine.”

And I honestly feel like, somehow, this forest crept into my home and crept into me. This was so spooky and so atmospheric, but I couldn’t put it down. No matter how scary or how dark it got; I was so completely addicted. Some of these passages left me feeling like I was on my own alter, deep in the forest, chest open, ribs cracked, leaving my heart bared for all to see. Yeah, that good. I don’t have words.

I truly believe that sometimes you just completely connect with an author’s writing and it will wholeheartedly teleport you into that story. I read the anthology Three Sides of a Heart , and I fell so completely hard for Tessa Gratton’s writing. I always pick a favorite short story in anthologies, but normally it’s a hard choice, yet Tessa made that anthology’s pick so easy. And then I fell in love with another short story by her in All Out, and I knew I had to read a full-length book from this author. And friends, it was like picking a book up for the first and time and realize that power that books can hold. Tessa’s writing is on another tier all by itself, and I am still, days later, left in awe of it. If you like lyrical writing, with captivating stories that are completely transportive, you need to give Strange Grace a read. I promise, you won’t be disappointed.

But this being said, I went into Strange Grace only expecting good writing and nothing more. But I can’t believe I found probably the best book of 2018. And this might be the best written book I’ve ever read in my entire life. I honestly had goosebumps while read at least 75% of this book. And even though this is a dark and spooky read, those goosebumps where completely from Tessa Gratton’s writing completely piercing my soul.

“You can break it all, or remake it.”

Overall, I recommend this with my heart and soul. Not only is this probably going to be my favorite book of 2018, it also has the best polyamorous relationship I’ve read ever. I’m not sure my heart has ever beat so fast, broken so painfully, or warmed so much, for any fictional relationship. The woods, the writing, the spell this book placed on me, it’s like nothing I’ve ever experience. Please, friend, pick this book up. Not only is it going to make the perfect autumnal read, it just feels like the book of my heart. Thank you so much, Tessa, for this once in a lifetime book that I’ll cherish forever.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Content and trigger warnings for animal death, bullying, trauma, grief, murder, torture, human sacrifice, abandonment, and just in general, this is a spooky book that I would for sure classify as horror. Please use caution, friends.

Buddy read with Candance at Literary Dust, Lilly at Lair of Books, & Julie at Pages and Pens! ❤

My amazing friend, Taylor, got me this book signed for my birthday, and then Tessa posted on Twitter a picture of her actually signing it, and I'm a soft and weak fangirl mess:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Grace.

May 9, 2018 – Shelved
July 15, 2018 – Shelved as: demons
July 15, 2018 – Shelved as: dark
July 16, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 –
25.0% "Friends, this might end up being my favorite book of 2018. Best first 25% of a book I've read all year. ❤"
July 18, 2018 –
50.0% "Actual gif of me reading this masterpiece:
"
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
July 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)

message 1: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Robinson I just got this one too! So excited!

Melanie Candace wrote: "I just got this one too! So excited!"

Let me know if you want to buddy read it after June, babe! 💖xx

message 3: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Robinson Yeah, I think we should definitely do this one! It sounds really good! Possibly beginning of July?

Melanie Candace wrote: "Yeah, I think we should definitely do this one! It sounds really good! Possibly beginning of July?"

Sounds amazing! 💕

message 5: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Robinson Melanie wrote: "Candace wrote: "Yeah, I think we should definitely do this one! It sounds really good! Possibly beginning of July?"

Sounds amazing! 💕"

Perfect! 👌🏻❤️

message 6: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong Nice review Melanie!

Julie Zantopoulos I know we've been talking about this book the entire read but I CANNOT wait for your full review. I live for your thoughts.

Melanie Susanne wrote: "Nice review Melanie!"

Awh, thank you, love! Full one will be up soon! But you are too kind! 💗xx

Melanie Julie wrote: "I know we've been talking about this book the entire read but I CANNOT wait for your full review. I live for your thoughts."

Awh, thank you, Julie! You are such a dang blessing! Again, I can't believe the buddy reads we've done together this year. You are my good luck charm, I swear! Happy reading, my love! 💗xx

message 10: by Sahitya (new)

Sahitya As always, your review is beautiful Mel... makes me want to read it as soon as possible... I’m hoping that my request for the arc gets approved but I’m usually disappointed...
And I totally agree about Tessa’s writing.. her short in Three sides of a heart was my favorite too.. I kept wishing it was longer..

☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness 💜💜💜💜 *screams in excitment* xDD

Melanie Sahitya wrote: "As always, your review is beautiful Mel... makes me want to read it as soon as possible... I’m hoping that my request for the arc gets approved but I’m usually disappointed...
And I totally agree a..."

Awh, thank you so much, Sahitya! You are just... too kind! Thank you! And I have my fingers crossed for you, love! Because... I need to gush about this with you! Happy reading! 💗xx

Melanie ☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness wrote: "💜💜💜💜 *screams in excitment* xDD"

Hehehe, yessss! It's so good, Tinja! I can't believe it! But I hope whatever you're currently reading is five star worthy, my love! 💗xx

message 14: by Mia (new) - added it

Mia Well, you definitely just made me request this book on Netgalley despite the pile of review books currently sitting in my room 😂 I can’t wait to experience this book for myself, beautiful review! ❤️

Britt Absolutely lovely review for such a deserving book!💗💗

message 16: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen what a lovely review!!!! i added this to my "must-read" shelf ^_^

Melanie Mia wrote: "Well, you definitely just made me request this book on Netgalley despite the pile of review books currently sitting in my room 😂 I can’t wait to experience this book for myself, beautiful review! ❤️"

Awh, thank you so much, Mia! This comment made my day! I hope you love it too, and then gush with me over it forever! Happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Britt wrote: "Absolutely lovely review for such a deserving book!💗💗"

Awh, thank you so much, Britt! I loved your review so much, too! Happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Karen wrote: "what a lovely review!!!! i added this to my "must-read" shelf ^_^"

Awh, thank you so much, Karen! I hope you love it, dear! Happy reading! 💖xx

message 20: by Meredith B. (new)

Meredith B.  (readingwithmere) Great review, Mel! Glad you loved it!

Leigh Kramer I tend to stay away from super scary things but honestly, this book otherwise sounds like everything I didn't know I needed. I'm going to have to try it!

Melanie Meredith B. wrote: "Great review, Mel! Glad you loved it!"

Awh, thank you so much, Meredith! This book... ahhh, I still can't get over it! But I hope you're having the happiest of reading, love! 💕xx

Melanie Leigh wrote: "I tend to stay away from super scary things but honestly, this book otherwise sounds like everything I didn't know I needed. I'm going to have to try it!"

It's for sure scary! But it's in a... thriller/mystery way? But... it can get pretty dark! Ahhhh! I don't know! I just want to gush with you about it! Hahaha! But use caution! And I hope whatever you're currently reading is five star worthy, Leigh! 💕xx

message 24: by -S♡ (new)

-S♡ Beautiful review Melanie! I may try this one out..it sounds quite intriguing! xoox

message 25: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this made your favorites list, Melanie ;) Fabulous review!! xoxo

Melanie -S♡ wrote: "Beautiful review Melanie! I may try this one out..it sounds quite intriguing! xoox"

Awh, thank you so much, Solly! I'm still think about you love! And I'm here if you nee ANYTHING! I love youuuu! 💕xx

Melanie KAS wrote: "Glad this made your favorites list, Melanie ;) Fabulous review!! xoxo"

Awh, thank you so much, babe! It totally and completely took me by surprise! But... Ahhh, it was perfect! I hope you're having the happiest of reading, my love! 💕xx

message 28: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Amazing Review, Melanie! The cover looks great too

Melanie Sumit wrote: "Amazing Review, Melanie! The cover looks great too"

Awh, thank you so much! I can't believe how much this one took me by surprise! Happy reading, love! 💗xx

message 30: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Wow, that's a stunning endorsement. Favorite book of 2018? *immediately adds to TBR* Wonderful review, darling! This sounds like a wonderful book!

AMY ♥pronounced AH-MEI♥ Magnet of Obese Cats AMYzing review, Melanie!

Melanie Celeste wrote: "Wow, that's a stunning endorsement. Favorite book of 2018? *immediately adds to TBR* Wonderful review, darling! This sounds like a wonderful book!"

Awh, Celeste, thank you so much, love! I still can't believe it, honestly! This book truly just blew me away! I hope you love it, too! Happy reading, beautiful! 💗xx

Melanie AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "AMYzing review, Melanie!"

Awhhh, thank you, Amy love! And I hope you're having happy reading, babe! 💗xx

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Wonderful review Mel!! I cannot wait to read this one <3

Melanie Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ wrote: "Wonderful review Mel!! I cannot wait to read this one <3"

*cries forever* Thank you so much, Alienor love! I can't wait for you to read it! 💖xx

elizabeth • paper ghosts This is such a beautiful review. I cannot wait to get my hands on this one!

Melanie elizabeth • paper ghosts wrote: "This is such a beautiful review. I cannot wait to get my hands on this one!"

Awh, thank you so much, Elizabeth! I hope you love it, sweetheart! Happy reading! 💖xx

arjounica rehina i just love this

Melanie arjounica rehina wrote: "i just love this"

Awh, thank you so much (with it being either my review or the book, hehe)! Happy reading! 💗xx

arjounica rehina thanks it was good

message 41: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Wow beautified review . You convinced me 100% to read this

Melanie arjounica rehina wrote: "thanks it was good"

Awh, thank YOU for this kind comment! 💗xx

Melanie Amy wrote: "Wow beautified review . You convinced me 100% to read this"

Awh, thank you so much, Amy! Happy reading, love !💗xx

Rachael Marie Incredible review Mel. Added to my list! Thank you so much. 💙💙💙

Melanie Rachael Marie wrote: "Incredible review Mel. Added to my list! Thank you so much. 💙💙💙"

Awh, thank you so much, Rachael love! I hope you're having happy reading and happy holidays, beautiful! 💗xx