Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Because it was this book's birthday yesterday and when a book finally gets released that will EASILY make your Best of 2018 list, you float it . . . .

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Oh Mr. Joy, how I’ve missed you.

Perhaps the most ironic thing of all when it comes to this author is his name. If you were ever curious where the “Black As Mitchell’s Heart” moniker came from – David Joy’s stories are about as bleak as one brain could ever conjure. As my Bookwife stated over on her review, we pretty much have a Google Alert set for anything new in David Joy’s world, up to and including I now read what he tells me to (thanks again for turning me on to Larry Brown). We most definitely were in full-fledged “This Is America and We Want It Now” mode while waiting to be approved for The Line That Held Us and I am so happy to say that once again David Joy delivered the misery in spades – just the way I like it.

The story here is pretty simple – Darl Moody has been chasing after a dream buck for ages and has tracked him down to Coon Coward’s private property. What ol’ Coon don’t know won’t hurt him, though, so Darl waits until he’s out of town and sets about in the wee hours to do some poaching. The only thing he wasn’t expecting? Carol Brewer to be doing some poaching of his own – digging ginseng to be exact. Rather than face the crazy which is Carol's brother Dwayne, Darl does the only other thing he can think of – enlist his best friend Calvin’s help and bury the body . . . .

That might possibly be the best thing about David Joy’s books. You know there is not going to be a happy ending or that the characters will magically escape the superbadawful they have set themselves up for. I love how his stories are all different, but touch on similar themes of love, loyalty, family, friendship and religion (in the most shuddery way possible). He blurs the lines between what is right and what is wrong effortlessly. Not to mention, he really makes you feel like you are truly in the heart of the south . . . .

When it comes to hick lit, he’s the bees knees. Every Star.

Many thanks to NetGalley for approving me for this one before I stormed your offices!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

May 9, 2018 – Started Reading
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: skillet-to-the-face
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: you-had-me-at-hello
June 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "yasssss!"

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "yasssss!"

Now we need to go lock him up in a root cellar until he writes us something new!"

I'm in the car. I'll pick up some booze on the way.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "yasssss!"

I'm in the car. I'll pick up s..."

Steal the shiny black motorcycle : )

message 5: by Vivian (new) - added it

Vivian I feel like I should read this for educational purposes.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) It will scientifically decipher how strong your gag reflex is ; )

Jennifer Perfect review!!

debra I already demanded politely requested that OverDrive buy this. Your review makes me even more, if that's even possible, "grabby-handed"

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Have you read/listened to him before?? (Speaking of listen - Will Patton would be PERFECT for his books.). If not I’ll lend you a flashlight so you don’t get lost in the dark : )

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson This looks so good! I might preorder it! Fantastic review, Kelly!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you Jennifer! I hope you like it : )

message 13: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Awesome review, Kelly! I'm intrigued!!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Deanna : )

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine How have I never heard of this author? Thanks for the intro, Kelly!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) All three that I’ve read by him have been winners for me Christine. I hope you get the chance to check him out sometime : )

Donna Davis Stalking or storming for a review copy is definitely within the realm of possibility for me where David Joy (and a handful of other writers) is concerned. Without providing spoilers, did you foresee it ending the other way, and if so, might that have been more true to character?
This is one way I know I have read a good galley; I've been through a number of others since I finished it, but I am still analyzing the characters, allegory, etc. for this one.
Your review is great fun.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yes - I expected things to end even worse than they did. That being said, I was completely satisfied with the ending even if I didn’t think it was a very realistic one. Glad to see there’s another member in the Joy Stalking Society ; )

debra Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Have you read/listened to him before?? (Speaking of listen - Will Patton would be PERFECT for his books.). If not I’ll lend you a flashlight so you don’t get lost in the dark : )"

I Listened to his first novel, Narrator wasn't Will Patton, but he, MacLeod Andrews, did a good job.

How is Mr. Joy enjoying the root cellar? Has He started writing yet?

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Hahahahaha Shelby gets custody - he lives closer to her ; )

message 21: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Sep 11, 2018 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Michael wrote: "Hi,

I saw your review and thought you might also enjoy my dark psychological thriller, Pumpkin Farmer. Thank you and enjoy.

-Michael

Seriously? I’m the one who keeps reporting all of your spammy accounts you dumbshit.