Elyse Walters's Reviews > Star of the North

Star of the North by D.B. John

Something about this thriller is like no other.
It’s fresh - intellectually stimulating - knowledge expanding- at times infuriating - with tense atmosphere.
Written sensationally!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star of the North.

May 9, 2018 – Shelved
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 22, 2018 – Started Reading
May 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by Guy (new)

Guy Portman I look forward to reading your review, Elyse. Few things fascinate me more than books about North Korea.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Kear You will probably like 'The Orphan Master's Son' then.

Elyse Walters Guy... this book was phenomenal. The characters enhanced the storyline...
North Korea is one scary place as we know - but I learned more things - ( ha- more scary things) - that I didn’t know.
Really really well written, Guy!!!

Elyse Walters Victoria- read it... it was brilliant!

message 5: by G.J. (new)

G.J. sounds great !

Elyse Walters G. J. Oh you’ll love this book! It’s really exceptional- not the average sleazy cookie cutter thriller.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Exciting review, Elyse! :)

message 8: by C. (new)

C. Put *that* in the rest of your feedback, Elyse: "not the average sleazy thriller", haha! That's the best endorsement! Happy spring to you and I'm glad you're healthy and clearing your plate to enjoy it. We are into gardening and flowers in Manitoba now.

Elyse Walters Big hugs and thanks Diane. I’m hoping now to soon get to couple of five star books that you read...
Pretty soon. I haven’t forgotten- as sounded really good. 🙂📚💕

Elyse Walters C... you’re making me laugh while I sit here and pedal on the bike. I can do this easier than walk these days so this is what I do.

It’s true by the way... lol. I know you know what I mean..

Getting a little excited Canada girl
... my daughter is moving to Canada in August. Permanently. She’ll Be living in Calgary. Brrrr. Lol. Warm hugs & love. 💕

message 11: by C. (new)

C. Oh, don't tempt me to make you laugh. I have all kinds of jokes I can make, depending on how well I come to know new friends Elyse! First, let's deal with your old-fashioned idea about Canada being cold!

Is it Christmas time? No, it is May and therefore +35 C instead of -35 C. Canadian woman have hauled out our razors, probably taken 2-3 days to distribute between underarms, legs, bikini per morning bath or shower. We have donned shorts and swimsuits and colourful new sandals. Brrr, indeed! Carolyn.

Elyse Walters Cracking-up C in 70% California weather....
you’re a riot!!! Just walking in to physical therapy. A good laugh is just the perfect thing!!!🤣

message 13: by C. (last edited May 23, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

C. 70 F? Is that all? ;) To convert, multiply our Celsius number by 1.8 and add 32. We are at 33.5 Celsius, which equals 92.3 Farenheit. Just in case you wondered, tomorrow is underarms. Swimsuit weather and reading in lawnchairs is here!

BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas) Ha, I wholeheartedly agree w/C - "not the average sleazy thriller" sold me! But really, this one sounds interesting & definitely different from the typical thriller.

message 15: by C. (new)

C. I'm Carolyn! Thank you, Bern.

message 16: by Meredith (new)

Meredith I’m intrigued, Elyse!

message 17: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Sounds like a riveting setting as well, Elyse!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I should have known you would love this too- SO GOOD! Xo 😘

Elyse Walters C... you’re RIGHT... I should’ve put it not your average sleazy thriller in my review! Lol. THANK YOU!!
And....., it IS THE TRUTH!!!!

Elyse Walters C... ok... got another one for ya... I’m 66 years old today... all I know so far ... because I’m still in bed is that we are having no rain and it’s a little cooler today.... but does 66 mean anything I should know about?

Elyse Walters Meredith... I know I’m running shirt reviews but I promise you this book is terrific! If not I’ll give you a money back guarantee ha ha!!! And eat my hat!

Elyse Walters Meredith... wow .. auto correct was really bad
Running shirt should say writing short ....
Lol. Had you figured it out?

Boy... I could never be a writer because I’m a crappy rider ( haha)... writer!!! Hugs Meredith 🍒

Elyse Walters ( BERN)... morning ‘mom’.... glad C. helped us out. And you ARE right... there is so many interesting layers to this book-
3 main characters- but really a 4th ( the country North Korea itself). And it’s always great to learn new things when it’s not crammed down our throat’s and through storytelling in this book we ‘do’ learn new things with ease

Elyse Walters Margitte... oh you are sooo right - the setting is almost a character itself!!! Hugs hugs hugs!!!!

message 25: by C. (last edited May 24, 2018 06:11AM) (new)

C. I'm glad I made you laugh about the Canadian spring shaving regime! I hope you caught #13, where I give the conversion Celsius to Farenheit. You will know how warm your daughter is all summer. F x 1.8 + 32 = C. We were 92.3 yesterday and our snow only finished melting late last month.

It is your birthday today? Oh, you are at retirement age! HAPPY SIXTY-SIXTH BIRTHDAY TO YOU, ELYSE! I have no funny stories about that age. You are the best one to tell me what it's like. You guys have enough heat and drought, so lounging in bed and partaking of a cooler day, sounds like just a lovely start for you! Birthday hugs and Love, Carolyn.

message 26: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Happy Birthday, Elyse! Although we have never met, I feel like I know you through your reviews. Every 5 star book you have reviewed has been a wonderful find for me. Nothing better than staying in bed for a while with a great book in hand.... a real treat!
Enjoy your day!

BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas) Happy 66th birthday lovely lady! 🎂🎉🎈 Hope the day was as amazing as you are!

Bonnie Brody Happy birthday my book friend. I'm so glad you enjoyed Star of the North. Bonnie

Christine Definitely going to read this after your review. Let the search begin.