Nancy's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: audio, non-fiction

What Happened is an apt title, for truly, what happened in the 2016 election? In this book Hillary Rodham Clinton reveals what transpired behind the scenes in her election bid to be president. Spanning many years of her life, but concentrating mostly on the two years preceding the election, she shares her thoughts and experiences of what went on. She reflects on what went wrong, she owns up to her mistakes, and she gives the reader a fuller picture of who she is.

Let me be clear- I voted for Hillary and would again in a heartbeat. She was by far the best candidate with a clear message and a thorough plan for America. She is intelligent and has years of experience that would have given her an advantage from day one of her presidency. Was she perfect? No- the emails were concerning, but the amount of attention that the press gave them was unwarranted. In addition to the bad press, sexism and Russian interference played a role in her defeat. Trump surely is made of teflon as he showed a gross level of incompetence, insulted minorities left and right, and worst of all bragged about sexual assault. That many citizens choose to ignore all this and vote for him is incomprehensible to me.

I listened to the audio edition of the book, and it was narrated by the author. Listening to her voice gave it an added poignancy, and perhaps due to that, I teared up three times during her narration. Her opening chapter of her crushing disappointment after her defeat was very humanizing, as was her description later on when she shared her hopes and dreams when she secured the Democratic nomination. I wish HRC well, and hope she continues to stay involved in politics. Hopefully all the cracks she made in the glass ceiling will help pave the way for a qualified female candidate to become our nations's president in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

May 8, 2018 – Started Reading