TS Chan's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

bookshelves: classics, favorites, audiobook

I read Jane Eyre with my fellow co-bloggers, the wonderful ladies at Novel Notions - Celeste, Emma and Haifa. Out of this, the Novel Notions Classics Club was born. Check out our first post on our thoughts and takeaways from Jane Eyre at our blog.

------------------------------------------------

Jane Eyre. One of the most well-lauded classics that I've heard so much of, time and again, and also one which has inspired numerous retellings and even spinoffs.

It was only appropriate that my goal of reading more canon classics would bring me to the doorstep of this much-loved tale. I have to say I passed the threshold without harbouring any expectation. Well, except that I hoped that I will enjoy it much more than my last classic read, Middlemarch. That I did was an understatement, for Jane Eyre is now my favourite classic.

Firstly, I did not expect the setting to be as gothic as it was, which is always a definite plus for me. Secondly, the story was immensely engaging and enthralling with revelations that stunned and shocked. I think that this Victorian-era story will put some modern tales to shame with its ability to keep the readers on the edge with its twists and turns. Then, there is the writing. Oh my god, the writing! So beautifully lush and impactful, I was completely enamoured with the way Bronte wielded the English language - the way the words are put together at every turn of phrase. I savoured and swirled these phrases around in my mind, like how a sommelier will savour wine in his/her palate before consuming the exquisite creation.

Last, but far from the least, are the immensely compelling characters of Jane and Edward Rochester. This novel is a fictional autobiography which was written with such fervent passion and ardour but yet tempered with the barest touch of restraint. I felt blessed that my first taste of this wonderful classic was through the superlative audiobook narration by the phenomenally talented Thandie Newton. Jane utterly lived through her stellar performance. Even her voices for the male characters were excellent. Most notably, Mr Rochester was imbued with a quality of melancholic and stern gruffness which suited his characterisation really well.

I struggle with writing reviews for classics simply because it feels intimidating with so much already written about them, and with much more eloquence, of that I'm certain. And as such, I intend to take my leave now and end my somewhat brief review by saying that there isn't a shadow of a doubt that I will be rereading Jane Eyre, time and again.

Simply, truly brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

May 8, 2018 – Shelved
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: classics
June 1, 2019 – Started Reading
July 1, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites
July 1, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
July 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by ChopinFC (new)

ChopinFC Good luck! This is a real classic, hopefully you'll have better 'sails' than I did with ' Monte Cristo'! 🤞

message 2: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan ChopinFC wrote: "Good luck! This is a real classic, hopefully you'll have better 'sails' than I did with ' Monte Cristo'! 🤞"

Thanks, my friend. So far, so good. The audiobook rocks hard though. Thandie Newton is AMAZING!

Gieliza I quite enjoyed this. The writing is really lovely. Let me know what you think of Rochester. Happy reading!

message 4: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary S. R. I read Jane Eyre years ago and don't remember anything, but I do remember that I read it in two days and loved it, so there goes that 😂 hope you do too!

message 5: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Gieliza wrote: "I quite enjoyed this. The writing is really lovely. Let me know what you think of Rochester. Happy reading!"

Thanks, Gieliza. I'm stunned by how much I'm enjoying it now.
I found Mr Rochester a most compelling character. He definitely has his faults, but I can't help rooting for him.

message 6: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Mary wrote: "I read Jane Eyre years ago and don't remember anything, but I do remember that I read it in two days and loved it, so there goes that 😂 hope you do too!"

message 7: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary S. R. TS wrote: "Thank you Mary! Hmmm.. if you don't remember anything, perhaps it's time for a reread, and may I recommend that you try the audiobook this time. Thandie Newton's narration was superlative!"

I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! Indeed, it's actually on my must-reread list for 2019 :) and thanks for the rec! I'm making a list of great audiobooks to make myself get used to them and enjoy them more, I will make sure to add this one! That's very helpful 😉

Haïfa Outstanding review love!!
I was happy and honored to read this engrossing tale with you ladies!

message 9: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Haïfa wrote: "Outstanding review love!!
I was happy and honored to read this engrossing tale with you ladies!"

Thank you so much, love!
It was such a pleasure that we have to keep it up. 😘

Celeste Beautiful review, my darling! I already can't wait to read this again, so I can experience the audiobook you raved about!

Dean the Bibliophage Fab review - kudos!

message 12: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Celeste wrote: "Beautiful review, my darling! I already can't wait to read this again, so I can experience the audiobook you raved about!"

Thank you, darling! Oh I'm positive that you'll love the audiobook. I actually can't stop thinking about it, and might even join you when you want to reread with it.

message 13: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Dean the Bibliophage wrote: "Fab review - kudos!"

Thank you, Dean!

Gieliza I'm glad you enjoyed this! I actually tried to read this back in high school but failed to finish it. I guess it just wasn't for me back then. I'm glad I gave it another chance because I ended up loving it. The writing is so gorgeous!

message 15: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Gieliza wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed this! I actually tried to read this back in high school but failed to finish it. I guess it just wasn't for me back then. I'm glad I gave it another chance because I ended up l..."

Thank you, Gieliza. I don't think I would've enjoyed this as much during my high school days. I was quite an impatient reader back then and I did not know how to appreciate beautiful and powerful prose over fast-moving plots, etc.

Btw, I've added a link for our blog's first post as a group in reading this book together. Check it out if you have time. :)