Dianne's Reviews > Upon Broken Wings

Upon Broken Wings by E.L. Reedy

bookshelves: autism, bullying, dark-fiction, dark-edgy, gay-lesbian, own, suicide

Prepare to be shredded with anger, pain and the angst level that rarely lets up. From page one, there is conflict, loss and darkness. The writing is jagged, chaotic and it fits the mood of this sad and heartbreaking story.

Andrew was born to pain, isolation and loss. We are invited into his mind, we are told why he is so emotionally isolated and of his brief connections with the world that were ripped from him, time after time.

Kiernan has reached into Andrew’s isolation, but their attraction is more than friendship. Together they will face betrayal, brutal injustice and the depths to which humanity will go. One will succumb to suicide. One will hover between the pain of life and an eternal rest. Because of the messages from angels, one will learn to go on for both of them.

There is a message in this read for those who can see through the heavy atmosphere and the pain that comes in so many forms. Authors E.L. Reedy and A.M. Wade joined forces to expose the loneliness and cruelties of being different, of not fitting into that cookie cutter image that allows people to be comfortable in their small worlds.

I just feel the severe heavy tension shadowed what could have come across as a truly memorable read for me. Sometimes less is more, the turmoil and tumultuous lives of these characters, the extreme circumstances faced page after page was overpowering. I could understand the story’s gravity with less and see the message for the future much more easily. I struggled with my rating. But, that said, these authors are writing from the heart with a passion that is remarkable.

I received a complimentary copy from Evernight Teen!

Publisher: Evernight Teen (April 20, 2018)
Publication Date: April 20, 2018
Genre: YA | Romance | LGBT
Print Length: 199 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews, Giveaways, Fabulous Book News, follow: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Upon Broken Wings.

May 8, 2018 – Shelved