Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)'s Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

liked it
bookshelves: library, audiobook

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's Constant Raving Reviews

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BOOK:
This book was better than I expected. Yes, it was still pretentious. But it also taught me a lot.

CHARACTERS/DYNAMICS:
The whole book focuses on Liz, who, let's face it, is going through an existential crisis.

I found Liz's connections in Italy were too superficial. In India, I found them a little too spiritual. However, her experience in India was the most pleasant. Finally, her relationships in Indonesia were too... fairytale-like. She made Indonesia sound like heaven. As a fellow Aussie, I had strong perceptions of Indonesians and Bali already. Little to say, I was reluctant to find myself relaxing as I vicariously experienced her life.

PLOT:
1. Depression.
2. Divorce.
3. Affair.
4. Depression.
5. Italy.
6. India.
7. Indonesia.
8. Happily... ever... after...?

THEMES:
- Womanhood
- Divorce
- Life
- Self-soothing
- Spirituality

QUOTES:
“I’m here. I love you. I don’t care if you need to stay up crying all night long, I will stay with you. If you need the medication again, go ahead and take it—I will love you through that, as well. If you don’t need the medication, I will love you, too. There’s nothing you can ever do to lose my love. I will protect you until you die, and after your death, I will still protect you. I am stronger than Depression, and I am braver than Loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me.”

THE ENDING:
I'm slightly disappointed Liz didn't share with us how it truly ended with her new beau, but after a quick Google, I see she was happily married for 12 years, before announcing her love for her best friend, who's suffering from cancer.

IMPACT:
For a moment I thought to myself, I want to be as strong and powerful as her.
But I don't want to live at all as she does.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

Quotes Cal Liked

Elizabeth Gilbert
“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.”
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

Elizabeth Gilbert
“To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced
life.”
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything

Elizabeth Gilbert
“When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“I’m here. I love you. I don’t care if you need to stay up crying all night long, I will stay with you. If you need the medication again, go ahead and take it—I will love you through that, as well. If you don’t need the medication, I will love you, too. There’s nothing you can ever do to lose my love. I will protect you until you die, and after your death I will still protect you. I am stronger than Depression and I am braver than Loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“I have a history of making decisions very quickly about men. I have always fallen in love fast and without measuring risks. I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone, but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long) waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance I have been a victim of my own optimism.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That's the only thing you should be trying to control.”

May 8, 2018 – Started Reading