Renee's Reviews > The Star Thief

The Star Thief by Jamie Grey

did not like it
bookshelves: 2018, romance, scifi

The Star Thief was a meh read for me, like most of my reads of late, unfortunately. Rather than abandoning this to the ever increasing DNF pile that I’ve been accruing lately, I persevered.

The main character, Renna, is bad ass. She’s literally the best thief in the galaxy; she’s tough, and she’s at home in her own sexuality. I do wish she had some other tools in her arsenal, but if she always wants to play the flirt or sleep with people for information, you go for it, Renna. As with it as Renna is supposed to be, she is perfectly trusting to allow a shady doctor tamper with her technological implant. I kept waiting and hoping that would go wrong. Damn.

The writing is quite lackluster and has inexperienced writer written all over it. Every single caricature — I mean, character lacked depth. Furthermore, the language is repetitive, but I was willing to accept all of this as mind numbing if rather uninteresting reading until Renna and her two dimensional love interest decided to fall into each other’s arms while imprisoned and immediately after Finn has sustained potentially life threatening injuries. I’m not a man, but I don’t think most men could maintain their... stamina while bleeding out internally and suffering from what we later find out are broken ribs and collapsed lungs. But such are Renna’s many charms. My eye rolling just cannot be contained.

1.5 stars — the extra half a star due to my simply completing the novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Star Thief.

May 8, 2018 – Started Reading