Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)'s Reviews > Static

Static by Tawny Stokes

"Parents hide your little rockers because the demons are coming to town to suck out their souls"
At first glance at the cover I expected I would be getting into a contemporary novel about a girl in a band, but when you read that synopsis, it's anything but.
I devoured this book when I started reading it pulled me in. I always tend to be on the side of the "bad guys" in the books. I love the dark side that challenges, overpowers and sometimes protect the main characters. It happened again to me here. I always find myself asking, if this (main) character cannot overcome and fight back from what is put upon them, how can I truly root for them? Why would I recommend this book to others if I don't appreciate what the characters are put through?
As she has become more than human (but I will not spoil you with what exactly happens)there is a lot of heavy make out scenes and sexual tension that pushes Salem to act on her desire, or urges. Now that kinda sounds dirty, but really the story does not go into explicit details beyond what can be found in other Young Adult novels.
The cover really starts to make sense a little more than halfway through the book. The characters in the band and Salem begin to really get intertwined and get more complex. I really liked the twists and the idea of "shadow ways" I cannot remember if she actually refers to it as "shadow walking" but that's how I remember it in my head. It's creative and intriguing.
The chemistry between Trevor and Salem was my favorite part of the story. How there was always an edge of uncertainty when they were around each other or figuring things out. I think Salem is a fantastic lead character that does fight back in her way and takes on new challenges, she is somebody I rooted for.
Great characters, twists and energy happening in this one, I give it 5 stars, highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Static.

Started Reading