Sean Barrs the Bookdragon's Reviews > Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

bookshelves: 5-star-reads, contemporary-lit, magical-realism, favourites

This is easily one of the saddest books I have ever read. I found it extremely difficult to read in places. I know what it is to lose friends, to have people randomly walk out of your life as if you never existed: it’s not a nice feeling after years of friendship.

For Tsukuru its four friends and they all exit at once. He gets a phone call from one of them informing him that the group have unanimously decided that he is no longer part of it. The shock is something that he carries with him for his entire life. He loved his four friends and their departure has left him with an undying fear, a fear of ever getting close to anyone ever again.

“It’s as if he was sleepwalking through life, as if he had already died but not yet noticed it."

"Before him lay a huge, dark abyss that ran straight through to the earth’s core. All he could see was a thick cloud of nothingness swirling around him; all he could hear was a profound silence squeezing his eardrums.”

He had no idea why it happened and it has haunted him ever since. It made him question his own identity and his purpose in life, ultimately turning him into a cynic. He never expected to find joy again or any sense of happiness. He trudges through life, colourless and utterly dead inside. On the surface he is successful but inside he is a wreck, existing though not living. After sixteen years he decides to face his past and re-connect with those that abandoned him so mercilessly. He goes back to find the reason that almost destroyed him.

Murakami captures the intensity of emotions to such powerful effect through exploring such a history. Few writers can get such feeling into their writing. We are all waiting for something or longing for something. I wonder how many people are truly happy in life? Not many.

When we find our shot at happiness we fly straight towards it and do everything we can to ensure that it never leaves us. And if it does leave us, well, the aftermath is worse than death. When Tsukuru’s friends abandon him, he no longer is the same person. It’s as simple as that. He must find himself once more to carry on living.

“The human heart is like a night bird. Silently waiting for something, and when the time comes, it flies straight toward it.”

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is an absolutely fantastic novel, and, as with Norwegian Wood, reading it may hurt. This is a novel to learn from.

More Murakami for me in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

May 8, 2018 – Started Reading
May 8, 2018 – Shelved
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star-reads
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-lit
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-realism
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites
May 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Miriam I’m so glad you enjoyed the book! Definitely read his other books too :-)

7jane I know that feeling too: friends just fading into some other corner of the internet, leaving me behind (and similar things in real life)... it's just hard sometimes to stay connected, whatever the reason *sigh* But at least I can come here at GR now :)
Loved this book surprisingly much, also, when I read it. <3

message 3: by Alvin (new) - added it

Alvin Please I don't really known how this app works can some just tell me the info ....it really confusing because I'm liking so many stories here but I can't seems to open dunno why tho